Stuck fast, rounded nuts!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

Not on my Audi but a friends Vectra C i'm working on. Vauxhall has used copper nuts on stainless steel thread for the Exhaust manifold.
Out of the 10 nuts, 5 have come off no problem. 2 have stuck to the short thread rod and undone that...so still not an issue.

BUT 3 are stuck fast and one has rounded off badly, two are rounded a little. They are 10mm nuts so I've tried heating them with a blow torch (which helped with 3 of the others), they all had plenty of doses of WD40 over the week running up to the removal.

Apart from acetylene gas, has anyone used any tools/special sockets for removing rounded nuts? The copper is really soft on these nuts and access for a junior hacksaw is a no go.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas please let me hear them. My friend, doesn't want to pay a local garage to fit the replacement Manicat.

Cheers,

Dan

hi , I bought a stud removal set from Halfords , they look like a deep socket and cost about £20 might be worth a go , either that or try and get the offending nut hot and try using a 3/8 socket , slightly smaller than 10mm

I know the pain you are feeling, used to have a vectra and had to remove the manifold due to studs breaking causing the manifold gasket to blow.
On any nuts like that I use wall drive sockets or spanners.
You are much less likely to get into the problem you have. I have managed to undo nuts on other peoples cars that have been rounded off with traditional sockets using my wall drive ones.
If all else fails then A pair of mole grips can do the trick if you can get them in or a nut splitter.

Buy Silverline PC70 Nut Splitter Set 2pc from our Hand Tools range - Tesco.com

After that I usually resort to the angle grinder if you can get it in there. Just slice off one side of the nut. You will have to replace the stud but when I was taking off the manififold on mine I replaced them all anyway as there was an upgraded part that wasn't made of toffee.

Karl.

I've tried 3/8 and even a 9mm after using the 3/8. Still rounds off due to the copper being so soft! ridiculous idea to use copper nuts if you ask me.

Will have a look at the above ideas and order something.

cheers guys for your input.

Dan

The Irwin set above will see you right, I've got a set and never had a rounded bolt problem since I bought them. Probably one of the best tools I've ever bought.

The only issue you can get with them is getting the space to hammer them on, sometimes it just means you may have to remove a few other things you wouldn't usually.

I ended up buying a Irwin set. They have arrived and look to be very well made, decent quality. Will hopefully be attacking the nuts next week.

Cheers,

Dan