Quattro, Tyres and different makes on different axles? HELP!

Dave-S3

Reaction score
Basically my S3 is going to need two tyres soon, my two front ones are fine however the rear two will need doing in the next few months, especially with winter on the way.

My issue is the tyres that are on there Conti sport contact 3's don't seem to be available anymore from most of the usual tyre dealers, plus conti's are really expensive, soft and im generally not a fan.

Ive done some research and found the Good year eagle f1 asymmetric 2's seem to be the ones for dry/wet grip & wear etc, aswell as being reasonably priced. £130 fully fitted.

However with the car being Quattro, can i put different pairs of tyres on each axle? Ive read some conflicting reviews but most seem to say it will be fine and theres nothing to worry about, is this correct?

Sorry if this has been done a million times before...

Cheers

As long as the rolling radius is the same on all four wheels you'll be fine.

There is a % tolerance for tyre wear but I would try and keep front matching with each other and rear matching.

Id never fit different tyres on the same axle on any car. Sorry to sound dumb but how is the rolling radius measured?

So i could have a pair of matching contis on the back and a pair of matching good year on the front is what your saying?

It will be fine, I'm running Avon ZZ3s on one axle and Falken 452s on the other, even went to track with these tyres, no problems at all. The only time you'd have a problem is if you go for different tyre sizes front and rear. Stick with the same tyre size, and you'll be fine mate.

Cool, ill go for the Good years then when they need doing :)