Car advice!

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After a bit of advice and a few opinions really.
After 5 years owning an MG ZR (yes, the head-gaskets been done!), the girlfriend is now looking to change cars.
As we now live together, she knows that whatever we choose - ill be using the car as well.

I currently drive a B6 A4 2.5TDi Avant which I love and will be keeping hold of for a few years yet - I used to have a Fiesta Zetec-S and an Ibiza Cupra R which were great cars in my opinion, the Zetec-S for handling and the Ibiza Cupra for the unrefined power (was running around 240bhp).

I kind of fancy the same again; a small'ish hot hatch which is fun to drive.
So far on the list I have;

Clio 182
Mk1 Leon Cupra R
EP3 Civic Type R

On the other hand, as she doesn't drive many miles - I quite fancy some older RWD exotics;

E36 328i
E39 5 Series

I honestly cant make my mind up, we've been giving it some thought for the past few months but cant seem to come to any conclusions!
We have around £4,000 to spend - opinions please! :sm4:

Last edited:
Impreza wrx 2.0 wagon with prodrive, 270bhp great reliability, adictive exhaust note, poor fuel economy but if you don't do many miles there is no better bang for your buck (imo anyway)

Had a few CTR's, great all rounder, mild mannered easy to drive and practical family car, then a screamer when you want to nail it with revs that go on and on and on and...

Awesome gear stick position, makes you feel like a racing driver and I really liked the seats although the tilt mechanism is pants to get in the back.A small thing but the centre console storage compartment is ace, chuck everything in it and it is hidden.

If you get a looked after one they are pretty much bullet proof, had them with 50-100k on the clock and all were fine and just never caused an issue, sailed every mot.

Issues to look out for, lack of v-tech kicking in could be a stretched timing chain, steering racks can fail, squeeky suspension, wear on inner edges of rear tyres due to fixed cambre. Alloys corrode, Milano red cars will fade inder the lacque on metal panels and not on plastics causing shad differences, only was to solve is a respray. They all use oil, some more than others, check them weekly, especially after a long journey or hard driving.

In general though they tend to be a tough car that ticks many boxes with super reliability.

Honda EK9 VTi ;)

If he can find one for £4k, then it's highly likely going to be a tired example!

LCR is my choice, as they are easy to find and easily tuned to 265bhp. Clio 182s are cheaper still and the other half will lie driving it, as it's compact! EP3s are ok, but best used out on track than as a fast road machine! In my opinion.

Thanks for all the advice so far, great info for the CTR - thanks Matt.

Spending more time on the thought, It would probably make sense to go for something newer - the appeal of an old bimmer as a toy would probably turn into a nightmare (I have heard they want a lot for parts, bushes.etc), probably impractical for an everyday driver.

We will probably be keeping the car for 3-4 years, im leaning more in favor of the Leon Cupra R now, even though the 8L S3 sounds appealing too being AWD - think I would prefer the FWD pace though as opposed to losing a little through the transmission.
The 260Bhp from just a remap on the LCR 225 is making it more appealing than the Civic Type R at the moment.

I "think" were getting a little closer! - Since the..ahem, Rover seems to be working well at the minute im going to bide a little more time and set a target of Feb/March next year to start looking, we will be able to save a little more too.

As for the Rover, im estimating around £400 return if I break it - I don't really want to sell as a whole as its been involved in a smash before (unbeknown to us when we bought it!), I've taken half the interior is out at the moment due to a leak as-well.