Is BP ultimate diesel worth the difference?

LEE69

07 170 DSG
Reaction score
It's 17p a Litre difference here.
Last car was petrol and you could really feel the difference between BP ultimate (97 ron) and momentum 99 for an example.

Anyone used the better diesel over regular supermarket pump diesel?

Granted mines a standard A4 2.0 TDI 140, but I filled mine up with BP Ultimate diesel. I noticed no difference in power delivery or throttle response and according to the computer read out (taken with a pinch of salt) I got 100 less miles on the range.

So in my opinion it's really not worth paying the extra.

Reactions: LEE69
17p a litre difference, that's taking the pee:wtf:

Tried a few tanks worth back in the day when I had a soot chucker and didn't notice any difference either.

17p/L difference!? :wtf: Get down to a Shell garage and use V-Power Diesel Nitro+(I believe there is a 8p/L price diffrence). Gives me a smoother drive, chucks a lot less smoke out the back and also 30-40miles more per tank believe it or not!*

*Compared with Tesco regular diesel.

Reactions: AlexGSi2000, Audibritz and sidibear
Nearest shell garage is easily 20 miles round trip now.We used to have one in Paignton but that is now BP

Shell Nitro or BP.. Used to use it every other fill up, was told once by VW Gilder main dealer in Chesterfield, I was using the wrong fuel, was having problems at idle with a car (a dog) they sold me, it was going up and down and was highly annoying. They said not to use Sainsburys deisel, then they gave me some fuel as compensation as I had to keep bringing it back, and guess what fuel they put in...yes you guessed ! Numpties...

Considering diesels still function on cooking oil, I wouldn't say it does.

As as far as I know they have more cleaning fluids in them, which does make it run smoother but I don't think it's worth the extra money.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Filled the car up with shell Nitro Diesel, and got a Lego lorry, timed the fill up/area right lol

Reactions: Phil-1
I was offered one after spending £50 but for £1.49 I declined !

Reactions: A4_MaJiK
I was told not to use Morrison's diesel as it's part Bio diesel.

I think, but correct me if I'm wrong, that pretty much all diesel now has about 5% BioDiesel in it

I normally use BP regular Diesel in car not noticed anything great from Ultimate or V+. Van runs on filtered WVO - anywhere between free & up to 50p/L :) but now the colder months coming it'll need some derv in it too :(

I prefer the shell v-power in my s3 it feels a little smoother whilst running.

Do people really get more miles from different fuel?

I was filling up with shell all the time as i was getting the points aswell, eventually i gave up with this and just used the cheapest i can find, 126.6p is the cheapeast ive found and i dont generally see a difference in the amount of miles i get

Cheaper stuff definitely gets more miles in mine, although it's only in when there's absolutely no other option as I respect my car.

Mine behaves exactly the same on BP regular and Sainsbury's diesel, same mpg, range and don't really feel any performance difference only the price, would love to know exactly what the difference is as everyone seems to have differing opinions.

Cheaper stuff definitely gets more miles in mine, although it's only in when there's absolutely no other option as I respect my car.

They are just standard diesel, you need to try shell nitro diesel or whatever it's name is then see the difference.

Tried that expensive fuel a few times and was disappointed, i stick with regular Shell fuel...Granted, at that time my cars were still running rough but i did not feel any difference at all + being drier fuel it will wear your pumps/nozzles much faster !

As a first time Desiel user ( after well over 25 Years as a petrol user ) I have been looking at the debate over std desiel Vs performance desiel and in the main the real difference seems to be the performance desiels have different cleaners in them is this correct ?? And if so is just not the case of adding a cleaner every 3rd or 4th tank of fuel ???

I have tried to search the forum for any links to sites that have an open view of supermarket Vs BP Shell etc tests so if you have any links please post them :)

17p a litre difference, that's taking the pee:wtf:

Tried a few tanks worth back in the day when I had a soot chucker and didn't notice any difference either.
oh but there was a difference you are still breathing all that soot you spewed into the air--why do people drive knackered out engines?it still amazes me--hence the freaky weather all that **** has to go somewhere

It's 17p a Litre difference here.
Last car was petrol and you could really feel the difference between BP ultimate (97 ron) and momentum 99 for an example.

Anyone used the better diesel over regular supermarket pump diesel?
is it possible they put a solvent into the diesel--like petrol--- to give it more power--i know you can mix a bit of petrol with diesel but i,ve heard it destroys the fuel pump

I use BP Ultimate all the time, I would use Shell V power but my nearest one is 20 miles away and the BP garage is only a 2 minute drive from my house.These fuels have a higher Cetane number then standed just like the Octane number of petrol.
The CN (cetane) number is a measure of a fuels ignition delay,the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during the combustion of the fuel.So you will get a shorter ingition delay period and the fuel will combust more easily resulting in less unburned fuel in the cylinders at the start of the cycle.