Anybody done a speed awareness course?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Did one on Thursday and was expecting the "all speed is evil", "if you speed you are on par with people that club baby seals to death"
In fact I was very wrong. The course was quite interesting and even as a highways engineer I picked up some useful things. There was no "we're right you're wrong" everything was a discussion.

I got myself noticed when one of the instructors asked "speed kills, true or false". I piped up with false and got a questioning look which I followed up with "suddenly becoming stationary is what gets you". The room errupted into sniggers, and the instructor smirked and said he would remember that for the afternoons course.

Subject of signs came up and he made a statement about the use of yellow sign surrounds which I said was incorrect. When questioned I pointed out the guidance notes within a document I use as a lighting & signing engineer.He was cool and said we should chat at the break as they wanted to update their course if New information was availble.

I went in expecting a bashing and walked away thinking the county council and police deserve a pat on the back for this one.

It certainly made me more aware when driving and agree with the above statement.