Tyre Choice

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round (245/40/18) on my B8 A4.
I need 2 rear tyres and I can get them for £154 each, delivered from Camskill.
The local Tyre place is doing Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
for £146 each fitted. Anybody had any experience of the Verdesteins? Or should I just plum for the Michelin's?

I do like the Michelin's as they have a big rim protector on them.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Vreds are a good tyre, had them on my Astra
I've got Assys F1s on the S3 and seem a better tyre in all conditions, also got a good rim protector.

hi mate . I have ultrac sassantas all round on my a4 avant they have a good size rim protector on them mine are 235 40 18 I have no complaints whatsoever very stable in the wet and dry seem to be wearing well . I will certainly be fitting them again mine were £123 each from the tyreman

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I've always run either Continental Sport Contacts or Toyo Proxes T1 R. Got caught needing a pair after a pothole and my brother mentioned the Kumho KU39. my initial reaction was cheap n cheerful ditch finder but the chaps on the BMW M3 forum really seem to rate them. Got a pair 225/40/18 for 170 all in. Once the waxy rubbish hadworn off I can honestly say dry weather grip is at worst on par and wet weather grip is far better than the Toyos I was on. Looking forward to seeing how they cope with some track action.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I cant comment on Verdestein as I have never used them.

One thing I can stay is to stay away from the cheaper brands (you will probably already know that!) - When I bought my Audi, it had 4x new Fullrun tyres - im guessing to get it through an MOT.
They lasted about 4 months before the sidewalls started to crack - one even started letting out air!

I previously swore by Toyo Proxes T1R, but couldn't stomach the bill for 19" tyres - the fact I do a lot of motorway miles meant I couldn't justify them either.
I decided to start using Maxxis MA-Z1's (£105 per corner) - I can honestly say I have been mega impressed with them - I dont hang about round corners either.

I've just bought some 19" Black Edition Rotors so looking for some 255 35 R19's for them. Any recommendations?
I have send Continental Sport Contact 5P's but don't know what they are like?
Also saw 2x Pirelli P Zero Ross's for £200! Good deal?

I've just changed from a mix of Pirellis up front with Dunlops on the rear to Michelin ps3 on all four corners. Had them on for a week which is about 250-300miles and i am still finding them slippery.

I used to be able to chuck my car about but now have to be far more cautious else it just under-steers. Would the tyres still need to be scrubbed in after a weeks worth of miles?

Conti Sports have always been good for me, im currently running some firestone SZ90s and I have to say, im very impressed with them, in the wet and dry too....got them at a really good price too.

Falken ze914's on mine. Been impressed by them good in the wet and the dry hard wearing as well

My Michelin PS3s are scrubbed in now I think as they I don't get the understeer around the roundabouts -- thanks god for that, I couldn't bear driving for 10months and not being able to chuck it about

Falken ze914's on mine. Been impressed by them good in the wet and the dry hard wearing as well

I was looking to fit a set of these, but they don't seem to do them in a Y speed rating, so I plumped for a set of FK453's instead.

I've done 3k miles and I'm very impressed with them.

Reactions: Avnt
I would never in a million years buy part worn or second hand tyres. You've no idea how they've been treated or why they've been removed. Tyres are your only point of contact with the road, make them count.
I wouldnt buy any of just a seller but there seems to be alot of tyre companies selling some that have been pressure tested etc.

I saw two Continental Tyres for sale; one is 7mm and the other 7.6mm. Is that ok to put on the same axle?

Well I finally decided on Continental Contact Sport 5P's so I will see how they compare to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.