• 1 Post By yendall24
  • 1 Post By Oranoco
  • 1 Post By davc

Thread: Tyre Choice

5th Gear

Status

Question Tyre Choice

Hi all.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round (245/40/18) on my B8 A4.
    I need 2 rear tyres and I can get them for £154 each, delivered from Camskill.
    The local Tyre place is doing Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
    for £146 each fitted. Anybody had any experience of the Verdesteins? Or should I just plum for the Michelin's?

I do like the Michelin's as they have a big rim protector on them.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by ScottishS3; 25th August 2013 at 21:19.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit gogz s3's Instagram Channel
    The Vreds are a good tyre, had them on my Astra
    I've got Assys F1s on the S3 and seem a better tyre in all conditions, also got a good rim protector.
    Audi S3, Sprint Blue, Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    hi mate . I have ultrac sassantas all round on my a4 avant they have a good size rim protector on them mine are 235 40 18 I have no complaints whatsoever very stable in the wet and dry seem to be wearing well . I will certainly be fitting them again mine were £123 each from the tyreman
    ScottishS3 likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    I can't find many reviews on the Vredesteins

2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

6th Gear

Status
    I've always run either Continental Sport Contacts or Toyo Proxes T1 R. Got caught needing a pair after a pothole and my brother mentioned the Kumho KU39. my initial reaction was cheap n cheerful ditch finder but the chaps on the BMW M3 forum really seem to rate them. Got a pair 225/40/18 for 170 all in. Once the waxy rubbish hadworn off I can honestly say dry weather grip is at worst on par and wet weather grip is far better than the Toyos I was on. Looking forward to seeing how they cope with some track action.
    ScottishS3 likes this.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

5th Gear

Status
    I cant comment on Verdestein as I have never used them.

One thing I can stay is to stay away from the cheaper brands (you will probably already know that!) - When I bought my Audi, it had 4x new Fullrun tyres - im guessing to get it through an MOT.
    They lasted about 4 months before the sidewalls started to crack - one even started letting out air!

I previously swore by Toyo Proxes T1R, but couldn't stomach the bill for 19" tyres - the fact I do a lot of motorway miles meant I couldn't justify them either.
    I decided to start using Maxxis MA-Z1's (£105 per corner) - I can honestly say I have been mega impressed with them - I dont hang about round corners either.

2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Personally I've never used Verdestein....

Seems like people do rate them, but in the tyre tests the PS3 comes out on top.

Reviews -

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3 | the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3 reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta | the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

I'm on my second full set of PS3s now and think I'll be changing to the Michelin Pilot Super Softs next time
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

5th Gear

Status
    I've just bought some 19" Black Edition Rotors so looking for some 255 35 R19's for them. Any recommendations?
    I have send Continental Sport Contact 5P's but don't know what they are like?
    Also saw 2x Pirelli P Zero Ross's for £200! Good deal?

6th Gear

Status
    I've just changed from a mix of Pirellis up front with Dunlops on the rear to Michelin ps3 on all four corners. Had them on for a week which is about 250-300miles and i am still finding them slippery.

I used to be able to chuck my car about but now have to be far more cautious else it just under-steers. Would the tyres still need to be scrubbed in after a weeks worth of miles?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

5th Gear

Status
    I found my Michelins Pilot Sport 3's stuck to the road like glue, even in the wet, from the first day.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Conti Sports have always been good for me, im currently running some firestone SZ90s and I have to say, im very impressed with them, in the wet and dry too....got them at a really good price too.

1st Gear

Status
    Falken ze914's on mine. Been impressed by them good in the wet and the dry hard wearing as well

6th Gear

Status
    My Michelin PS3s are scrubbed in now I think as they I don't get the understeer around the roundabouts -- thanks god for that, I couldn't bear driving for 10months and not being able to chuck it about
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

5th Gear

Status
    Anybody ever bought some of the slightly used tyres from eBay?

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Avnt View Post
    Falken ze914's on mine. Been impressed by them good in the wet and the dry hard wearing as well
    I was looking to fit a set of these, but they don't seem to do them in a Y speed rating, so I plumped for a set of FK453's instead.

I've done 3k miles and I'm very impressed with them.
    Avnt likes this.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Anybody ever bought some of the slightly used tyres from eBay?
    I would never in a million years buy part worn or second hand tyres. You've no idea how they've been treated or why they've been removed. Tyres are your only point of contact with the road, make them count.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    I would never in a million years buy part worn or second hand tyres. You've no idea how they've been treated or why they've been removed. Tyres are your only point of contact with the road, make them count.
    I wouldnt buy any of just a seller but there seems to be alot of tyre companies selling some that have been pressure tested etc.

5th Gear

Status
    I saw two Continental Tyres for sale; one is 7mm and the other 7.6mm. Is that ok to put on the same axle?

5th Gear

Status
    Anybody?

5th Gear

Status
    Well I finally decided on Continental Contact Sport 5P's so I will see how they compare to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.