Chris NottBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oranoco

Thread: Nearly given a ticket for a legal plate!! WTF?!?

6th Gear

Status

Nearly given a ticket for a legal plate!! WTF?!?

Got a nabbed by a speed trap yesterday morning which regardless of how annoying and petty is my fault. After getting reported for that the traffic policeman tells me he is going to issue me with a ticket for my illegal number plate.

I told him calmly and as politely as I could that the plate was legal and he got arsey showing me his plate telling me it must be exactly like that. So I pointed out the marking on my plate "BS AU 145d" at which point he told me to wind my neck in. Frustrated and annnoyed over the speeding ticket I retorted by telling him he should perhaps be trained beyond holding a speed gun and hiding behind road signs and hedges
    azman likes this.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Ooops, dont think mr traffic cop would have liked that. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

6th Gear

Status
    Should have let him issue the ticket then appeal against it and then use that to appeal the speeding ticket...
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

S3 Drift King!

Status
    What exactly was he pointing out that the plate was illegal for? Considering you have the dealer mark on it?!, and was you doing 140mph? lol

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I think some coppers just see a car that looks modded and then just want to take you to the cleaners. I've been pulled over on my own driveway before and told I was going too fast for the wet conditions and that a child might run out in between parked cars (during school hours). Anyway I PI this down to being in a bright blue Clio 182.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Don't accept any cheek from the police, at the end of the day their job is to protect and serve Well they certainly do the latter serving you bleeding tickets and so on.

Take their number and report them. At the end of the day they must show people respect instead of treating them like dirt.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

1st Gear

Status
    pigs

6th Gear

Status
    I always try and deal with people on the level and speak to them how I want to be spoken to. His attitude was snotty and aggresive from the word go. He clearly got the hump with me when I knew the number plate law better than he did, and this was made very apparent by his "wind your neck in" comment.

Through my job I have to on occasions deal with the police and on the whole they are pretty good, it just seems to be something about traffic police. Last year I was on my way to the DVLA office with my private plate to transfer it to the car and the traffic cop that stopped me for my shown plate sat there going through my papers for the plate transfer and still issued the ticket. I created ovr that and logged a formal complaint only to get his superior officer on the phone apologising without reserve over the incident.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow ESD1711 On Twitter Visit ESD1711's Instagram Channel
    So what was he actually saying was wrong with the plate then?

One of the biggest problems is that the laws around the legality of number plates are about the biggest load of cobblers known to mankind..... its shamful that those enforcing the law dont know the laws in full, thats a given.

However, I would point out that it 'is' possible to have a plate with both dealer details and the BS mark on it which is illegal..... I'm fairly confident that the BS AU stuff is actually in relation to the construction of the actual physical plate.

Strictly speaking, my own plates are illegal. I have a 5 digit plate, supplied by Audi with audi dealer details on it and which originally bore the BS AU nuumber too. The background is legal. The font is legal. The spacing is legal.

BUT....... I chopped mine down to the bar minimum size allowed by law and as a result, lost the portion of the plate bearing the BS AU number.

Legal in every single way other than a pedantic meaningless little number which has NOTHING to do with the identification of the vehicle.

Would have to be a majorly pedantic copper who'd make an issue of it IMO. But i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As I say, magnificently stupid laws.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davc View Post
    Don't accept any cheek from the police, at the end of the day their job is to protect and serve Well they certainly do the latter serving you bleeding tickets and so on.

Take their number and report them. At the end of the day they must show people respect instead of treating them like dirt.
    works both ways tho fella.... you would clearly fail the attitude test rather fast
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, S Badge, LED np lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s. Next Oval tailpipes/alloy Respray/discs/pads

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    works both ways tho fella.... you would clearly fail the attitude test rather fast
    No.

I treat people with respect, police included and have never had any issues when dealing with them.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davc View Post
    No.

I treat people with respect, police included and have never had any issues when dealing with them.
    yeah, looks that way...
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, S Badge, LED np lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s. Next Oval tailpipes/alloy Respray/discs/pads

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_8p3 View Post
    pigs
    And the first people you will ring when you are robbed, burgled or have your car stolen?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ESD1711 View Post
    So what was he actually saying was wrong with the plate then?

One of the biggest problems is that the laws around the legality of number plates are about the biggest load of cobblers known to mankind..... its shamful that those enforcing the law dont know the laws in full, thats a given.

However, I would point out that it 'is' possible to have a plate with both dealer details and the BS mark on it which is illegal..... I'm fairly confident that the BS AU stuff is actually in relation to the construction of the actual physical plate.

Strictly speaking, my own plates are illegal. I have a 5 digit plate, supplied by Audi with audi dealer details on it and which originally bore the BS AU nuumber too. The background is legal. The font is legal. The spacing is legal.

BUT....... I chopped mine down to the bar minimum size allowed by law and as a result, lost the portion of the plate bearing the BS AU number.

Legal in every single way other than a pedantic meaningless little number which has NOTHING to do with the identification of the vehicle.

Would have to be a majorly pedantic copper who'd make an issue of it IMO. But i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As I say, magnificently stupid laws.
    Yep the Road Traffic Act is "written" terribly. No definition of the terms used. i.e the letters have to be "Black" I presume there is more than one "shade" of black right? When does black become grey? Rear plate has to have a "yellow" backround. What type of yellow? Canary yellow? Mustard yellow?

Have a look at this http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_067666.pdf

If you don't have standard number plates but you still tick all the boxes I don't think the officer pulling you over will be able to issue a ticket. I am going to take a print out of the web page and keep it in my car when I get my pressed metal number plates. They fulfill every criteria on that web page. Also there is nothing to state what material the plates have to be made of lol.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    I always try and deal with people on the level and speak to them how I want to be spoken to. His attitude was snotty and aggresive from the word go. He clearly got the hump with me when I knew the number plate law better than he did, and this was made very apparent by his "wind your neck in" comment.

Through my job I have to on occasions deal with the police and on the whole they are pretty good, it just seems to be something about traffic police. Last year I was on my way to the DVLA office with my private plate to transfer it to the car and the traffic cop that stopped me for my shown plate sat there going through my papers for the plate transfer and still issued the ticket. I created ovr that and logged a formal complaint only to get his superior officer on the phone apologising without reserve over the incident.
    From what I know traffic police are even disliked by "normal" police officers lol..

5th Gear

Status
    even the most normal person will find something to whinge about when police are involved, because they are such an easy target for criticism and complaint. Its almost a hobby to some people.

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    yeah, looks that way...
    Whatever. You can think what you like pal.

6th Gear

Status
    Okay people i think that is enough now
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.