EM TuningSky Insurance
    6th Gear

Status

precoded key programming, and cheapo ebay keys info before you buy!

Ok, so some of you may have worked out by now im playing with keys as a hobby, not just vag cars, but all cars.
    Where possible i have offered help to forum members, and only asked my costs are covered. This isnt an advert btw, i am well aware of the policy around sponsors and adverts etc.

However having been asked recently about pre coded keys, i just wanted to make a few things clear.
    I personally CANNOT pre code keys. I can re sync a key to a car, i can program a precoded key to a car. I use advanced diagnostics equipment for this, but VCDS may also work.

To precode a key, I would need to read the cars info with one machine, but then literally use 'brute force' trying 256 combinations for the last byte of data of precode info, with the help of a second machine. Both diagnostic machines needed cost in excess of 2grand each, and one uses a token prepayment system. These tokens I buy in advance and range in cost from 30-50quid!
    Reading a pin code / skc uses one token, programming a key uses another (vcds obviously is useful here), and precoding im not sure, i havent bought the extra 2k worth of tools needed!!

Bearing in mind the cost of the machinary and tokens, its very important that correct parts are bought, not just anything that might be cheap on ebay. Tokens used to program cant be reimbursed when used in error.

I understand keys are very expensive at the dealer, in most cases an auto locksmith will be cheaper. However I understand the costs involved to produce a key as i own a tenth of the equipment an auto locksmith may own!

Another thing you should be aware of is the cheap hard metal used on some keys, most key cutters i know will not cut them as they damage the cutting equipment. Best off letting the locksmith supply if he is going to cut it.

Now, I would advise anyone with only one key to get a spare ASAP. To make a key you need ignition, it can be bypassed, but if you lose your key youll need a professional to gain entry, pick and decode your lock (i have tools to do this too, but they are not cheap and break easy) . You will also need to prove ownership, a bit hard if your out away from home. These costs could be through the roof, so well worth buying even a non remote key just to start the car.

Most of the keys I can program are with VCDS and pin retrieval, im always happy to help members as long as it costs me nothing.

Hoping this post clears up some questions as i have seen a lot of key requests flying around the forum, i just with i could help more people (ive lost my keys before and it was nasty!)
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    so how much for a key for a 2007 a4 ?

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for your info but I have just bought a key from eBay so light be a bit late for me (ebay lost no:- 400521415463) it has a blank blade and a virgin id48 chip fitted, I have my skc code attached to the plastic key that you get when the car is new.

So basically am I right in thinking all I need to do is get the blade cut and supply the auto lock smith my skc code and he can the reprogram my new key to the car. No doubt its not going to be that easy but.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shariain View Post
    Thanks for your info but I have just bought a key from eBay so light be a bit late for me (ebay lost no:- 400521415463) it has a blank blade and a virgin id48 chip fitted, I have my skc code attached to the plastic key that you get when the car is new.

So basically am I right in thinking all I need to do is get the blade cut and supply the auto lock smith my skc code and he can the reprogram my new key to the car. No doubt its not going to be that easy but.
    yes easy with the skc
    i have mine aswell

6th Gear

Status

If thats the correct key for your car and a new chip then anyone with vcds can do this for you. Thats not a precoded key
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

5th Gear

Status
    It's the same part number and frequency as my key I have so here's hoping. Thanks for the info.

1st Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    so how much for a key for a 2007 a4 ?
    a 2007 A4 is going to be precoded, he hasn't got the equipment to do that himself
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

it's a used key, so the transponder isn't going to be virgin(blank) even though is states it's been "virginilized" (sellers word not mine! lol!

There's equipment available to unlock id48 VAG transponders but just because it's been unlocked it doesn't mean it can be programmed to any other VAG using the same type of transponder. It all depends on which immob type the car has, read immob info in below link

Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki

So if you're car has immob 1 or 2 then you can program an unlocked transponder with the SKC. What year is your car?
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

5th Gear

Status
    It's a 2002 s3.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

that's a close 1. Could be immob 2 or 3. Can't tell without connecting VCDS & seeing if it gives the 17 digit VIN in the "extra fields" part when logging into dash or immob module

5th Gear

Status
    As long as I can get it cut and programmed for the central locking I will be happy

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Iain I have VCDS mate so if its purely a VCDS tweak then bring her over mate.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers I will hold you to that once I get the blade cut.

6th Gear

Status
    Vcds can determine the immo type but skc still needed to code a key.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigynett View Post
    a 2007 A4 is going to be precoded, he hasn't got the equipment to do that himself
    Correct, I need to get my hands on your precoding gear lol, unfortunately I cant afford the small mortgage!