Take it on the chin or garages fault - stripped thread on hub

MrGreen

Reaction score
I asked my local garage to rotate my tyres in doing so they managed to strip the thread on one wheel nut holes on the hub. I asked them how it happened and they said the nuts can get rusty could this cause this or is it most likely the garage screwed up ? The guy said he should be able to rethread but to be honest I would prefer hub replaced.

Thxs

Could be.. but also if you put the bolt in an air gun and start the bolt going into the hole that way rather than starting the bolt by hand first... bad things can happen :)

I would expect the garage to return the car to how it was before they started work on it, i.e replace/repair what they have damaged.

The problem is how do you prove it.. Now the thread is damaged and you weren't there to see it happen. They might if they are playing nice offer to fit the part for free and you cover the cost of the part. Always a tough position unless someone want to fall on their sword.

The garage are responsible for there actions,as said bolts need hand starting first before ratchet.
But if you weren't there how can you prove it even though it was ok before you took it........

Next time dont be lazy, the sun is out, go out and wash and wax it and rotate them yourself :D

Reactions: Administrators
Had a similar issue not long ago, garage whacked the air gun on and broke the locking wheel nut and then said the bolts had seized in and it was not a fault of theirs - claimed they had the breaker bar on it not the gun. Also said 'we can try to hammer a socked on it but it may damage the alloy so dont want to do that' wasnt until later I spotted they had tried exactly that and you could see the chips in the alloys. Normally a good place but must have had a newbie on it that day!

Took the car to my mechanics with new locking nut, used the breaker bar and eye presto, no issues. He said straight away, they have used the gun on this to cause this damage.

Wasn't pointless trying to stand and argue the toss, nut was £10 from the dealers and they had all their excuses lined up.