Advice on windscreen

Mikemc

Scooby Slayer
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Was driving yesterday in the sun and what looked to be lots of tar spots on my windscreen was annoying me.

So I when I Parker up I took a closer look and its lots if very tiny stone chips. Litterly around 5-6 per 10cm2

I guess it's a new windscreen jobby via auto glass or claim via insurance aslong as it don't effect my premium?

My SLK is like that ,but the screen has never been replaced, cars done 147000 miles now so to be expected.

It's calling 'pitted', and it's ok to claim off insurance for this with no effects on your future premium, but call them up to make sure first! My Passat coming upto 200k miles is heavily pitted, but I've never bothered to change it, can see through it. lol

Ang a good enough reason to have the windscreen that's needed for auto rain wipers? Lights and auto dimming?

Ang a good enough reason to have the windscreen that's needed for auto rain wipers? Lights and auto dimming?

auto glass wont do this now
i had my cab booked in insurance claim told them it was rain sensor they had it in for me
when i took car they rang me up and said they had to replace like for like.
iv dont it a few times but now its hard work to get the rainsensor screen if you havent got it fitted already.

auto glass wont do this now
i had my cab booked in insurance claim told them it was rain sensor they had it in for me
when i took car they rang me up and said they had to replace like for like.
iv dont it a few times but now its hard work to get the rainsensor screen if you havent got it fitted already.

Looks like I need a friend in the windscreen game! I'm sure a smaller company would take a cash in hand to upgrade the screen?

I thought it was just me having this pitting issue haha! I do know someone in the trade who replaced my windscreen once (done a fantastic job). But not too sure if he operates outside of the Midlands. PM me for further info.

Az.

Been in touch with a friend who is in the windscreen trade and he may be able to sort anyone out with their needs. Although he can only work with certain insurance companies (check your policy) as some only allow your windscreen to be replaced by specified companies. Location isn't a problem as he has contacts across the UK too. PM me if you would like further information.

Mine was a bit like that, but following a stone cracking it, I got a new windscreen fitted last Saturday with Autoglass, so much better! Mine has auto lights and rain sensor and it all still works a it should.