Alloy Repair

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Last month I hit a pot hole and it buckled one of my alloys, since them I've been thinking what to do about the alloy and the fact that I need 3 new tyres.

I've spoken to a couple of businesses about getting my wheel straightened and the responses have varied.

I understand people have different knowledge and skill levels but surely the information about alloy repair should all be the same, if so why is there such a different in information from alloy repair people?

Last month I hit a pot hole and it buckled one of my alloys, since them I've been thinking what to do about the alloy and the fact that I need 3 new tyres.

I've spoken to a couple of businesses about getting my wheel straightened and the responses have varied.

I understand people have different knowledge and skill levels but surely the information about alloy repair should all be the same, if so why is there such a different in information from alloy repair people?

I have spent (in the past) many years managing the restoration of old Ferraris and in some cases wheels had to be repaired because there was no other option. There is nothing wrong with having an alloy wheel welded, straightend so long as it's done by a competennt company. They will repair to a "like new" condition, re-balance the wheel (just the wheel - no tyre) and x-ray the repair to make sure there are no cracks etc.

Cheers

Malcolm

The other option for you as your tyres need replacing would be to buy different wheels / tyres - however a much more expensive option

Can you not claim for a new wheel / repair from your council - they are responsible?

I have spent (in the past) many years managing the restoration of old Ferraris and in some cases wheels had to be repaired because there was no other option. There is nothing wrong with having an alloy wheel welded, straightend so long as it's done by a competennt company. They will repair to a "like new" condition, re-balance the wheel (just the wheel - no tyre) and x-ray the repair to make sure there are no cracks etc.

Cheers

Malcolm

The other option for you as your tyres need replacing would be to buy different wheels / tyres - however a much more expensive option

Can you not claim for a new wheel / repair from your council - they are responsible?

I slapped some part worns on for now.
The wheel/s is being picked up this weekend, then I'm going to reassess my situation.
The letter to the council is all ready to be sent back once the wheel is back.

I slapped some part worns on for now.
The wheel/s is being picked up this weekend, then I'm going to reassess my situation.
The letter to the council is all ready to be sent back once the wheel is back.

This might be useful.................

If you want to make a claim against the council here are the tips...................

1. Write a detailed letter and include photos, map and any receipts
2. Submit a "Freedom or Information" request to show you mean bussiness - for this you must head any letter or e-mail with the strapline "Freedom of Information Act-Request for information." There is Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management drawn up by the DOT that you can read.
3. Do not be fobbed off with excuses.
4. Contact the highwqays department of your local authority
5. For more information: www.highwaysindustry.com and www.potholes.co.uk