EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Alloy Repair

  1. #1
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,961

    Alloy Repair

    Last month I hit a pot hole and it buckled one of my alloys, since them I've been thinking what to do about the alloy and the fact that I need 3 new tyres.

    I've spoken to a couple of businesses about getting my wheel straightened and the responses have varied.

    I understand people have different knowledge and skill levels but surely the information about alloy repair should all be the same, if so why is there such a different in information from alloy repair people?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Last month I hit a pot hole and it buckled one of my alloys, since them I've been thinking what to do about the alloy and the fact that I need 3 new tyres.

    I've spoken to a couple of businesses about getting my wheel straightened and the responses have varied.

    I understand people have different knowledge and skill levels but surely the information about alloy repair should all be the same, if so why is there such a different in information from alloy repair people?

    I have spent (in the past) many years managing the restoration of old Ferraris and in some cases wheels had to be repaired because there was no other option. There is nothing wrong with having an alloy wheel welded, straightend so long as it's done by a competennt company. They will repair to a "like new" condition, re-balance the wheel (just the wheel - no tyre) and x-ray the repair to make sure there are no cracks etc.

    Cheers


    Malcolm

    The other option for you as your tyres need replacing would be to buy different wheels / tyres - however a much more expensive option

    Can you not claim for a new wheel / repair from your council - they are responsible?
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

  4. #3
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,961
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    I have spent (in the past) many years managing the restoration of old Ferraris and in some cases wheels had to be repaired because there was no other option. There is nothing wrong with having an alloy wheel welded, straightend so long as it's done by a competennt company. They will repair to a "like new" condition, re-balance the wheel (just the wheel - no tyre) and x-ray the repair to make sure there are no cracks etc.

    Cheers


    Malcolm

    The other option for you as your tyres need replacing would be to buy different wheels / tyres - however a much more expensive option

    Can you not claim for a new wheel / repair from your council - they are responsible?
    I slapped some part worns on for now.
    The wheel/s is being picked up this weekend, then I'm going to reassess my situation.
    The letter to the council is all ready to be sent back once the wheel is back.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  5. #4
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    I slapped some part worns on for now.
    The wheel/s is being picked up this weekend, then I'm going to reassess my situation.
    The letter to the council is all ready to be sent back once the wheel is back.
    This might be useful.................

    If you want to make a claim against the council here are the tips...................

    1. Write a detailed letter and include photos, map and any receipts
    2. Submit a "Freedom or Information" request to show you mean bussiness - for this you must head any letter or e-mail with the strapline "Freedom of Information Act-Request for information." There is Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management drawn up by the DOT that you can read.
    3. Do not be fobbed off with excuses.
    4. Contact the highwqays department of your local authority
    5. For more information: www.highwaysindustry.com and www.potholes.co.uk
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO