cracked windscreen

205man

Reaction score
how strong are windscreens if they have a crack in and are they safe to drive

I've managed to crack mine today, it's a few inches in from the bottom of the screen and is a centre point with about 5-6 cracks spreading out the longest being about 6inches.

I've called auto glass through my insurance and they can't replace it until the 9th, which not major as I can go most the week without using my car but on Sunday I have to drive about an 80mile round trip on the motorway, would the screen be ok to do this? the chap at auto glass said it would be fine as its laminated , I have put some strong clear tape on the inside of the crack.

but I thought I'd ask you guys

Mines got a huge 90 degree crack that came up from the bottom of the screen and then took a righ hand turn right in the middle of the screen. I've been driving around for months like this, don't worry about it. I've also done a few trips to work and back which is a 100 mile round trip.

This mine was shattered by a steal re-enforcing rod that they use in concrete it spread from the impact point to look quite bad but as its tempered it should be fine, i drove around for about 4 month with it like that even after i had it replaced then they eventually pulled it off to replace it still remained in one piece.

Dude, it can be very hit and miss, sometimes it can just go, sometimes it can last for months, even years!!

Guess its a case of drive at your own risk, im sure it will be ok, but just be cautious.

also rember if it is bad you can get 3 points

I think I'll try driving around short trips and see what happens but I will have to use the car whatever happens on Sunday .

it is on drivers side but not really visible as most of it is in the tinted part of the lower bit of the screen

I can't believe I have to wait a ****** week for it to be replaced

I've put clear all weather tape on it now and removed the gaffa

image_zps531afcd3.jpg

Last edited:
The windscreen accounts for up to 30% of the body strength up front. Think of it as the a transparent metal panel that reinforces the front of the vehicle. Mine cracked this time last year. It was a few inches at first but it grew a few centimeters each day. One cold morning driving in South Wales... the single crack turned into 4 other cracks and went from top to bottom of the windsreen - a stone chip from a motorcycle and a few more pretty lines. So there is no proper answer for how strong it is because weather can take its toll... or a stone chip can make things worse... my advice would be to obviously not drive unless you have to... and keep the screen warm if possible or frost free. Use a car cover, some tarp or something if there is frost where you are. I would not bother with a glass repair kit either in the mean time. It will hold if you protect it as much as you can.