Personalised Number Plates

mehtaman

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been trying to find out some information about personal number plates but the DVLA site is worded a little to fiddly for me to understand.

I am in the process of filling out the form to add a private plate to my car.

I am trying to find out what happens to my original plate, I presume its surrender back to the DVLA.
What will happen when I decided to sell my car?
Do I need to buy a new standard plate for the car when it is time to sell up?

When you decide to sell your car, you need to either swap your private plate onto your new car or Retain the Plate for 1,2 or 3 years (V778) then the DVLA will then either assign the original plate onto the car your selling or can place another of the same year.
You dont have to pay DVLA for this, just the costs of swapping onto your new motor or retaining the plate.

The DVLA will retain your original mark (on paper) whilst you display the cherished number (you only apply for the right to display it the plate will always belong to the DVLA), should you sell the car you can apply to put the number on a retention certificate so you can transfer it to your next car (£25 per year to keep it on paper). It costs £80 I think or you can sell the car with the cherished number and it's gone with the car until the new owner decides to sell it. Hope that helps?
Carl