Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Artimus

Thread: Questions about economical driving and MPG...

  1. #1
    _G_
    _G_'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    869

    Question Questions about economical driving and MPG...

    So the faster you go the more the needle drops
    Excessive use of boost and it drops...

    Last week I drove 80mph in my 2.0 TFSI (8p2)... and the return was about 22-26 MPG
    Today I tested 75MPH and the return was 32-36 MPG
    I know that 70MPH gives me 38-42 MPG

    This is all steady driving... and no harsh acceleration...

    So... if I was to stick to my 70-75 and only used the boost to over-take someone taking the biscuit... would I have been better off driving a steady 80 in the first place? I realize I may have answered my question in a way here.

    Thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    eh?
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  4. #3
    AlexGSi2000's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,070
    Depends on a lot of variants;

    • The gearing (ratios) on your car
    • Aerodynamics
    • Headwind / Tailwind.etc

  5. #4
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,631
    Since both your examples are illegal, you'd better try 56mph and be amazed at the mpg!

    I once got an average 45mpg over 150 miles with cruise set & the range was still saying 400+ miles left in the tank ...it's not something I'm keen to repeat though, boring as f**k.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  6. #5
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    Quote Originally Posted by _G_ View Post
    So the faster you go the more the needle drops
    Excessive use of boost and it drops...

    Last week I drove 80mph in my 2.0 TFSI (8p2)... and the return was about 22-26 MPG
    Today I tested 75MPH and the return was 32-36 MPG
    I know that 70MPH gives me 38-42 MPG

    This is all steady driving... and no harsh acceleration...

    So... if I was to stick to my 70-75 and only used the boost to over-take someone taking the biscuit... would I have been better off driving a steady 80 in the first place? I realize I may have answered my question in a way here.

    Thanks
    Depends if you slow back down to your original speed after the overtake. If MPG is all that important, why bother with the overtake, just hang back and take it easy, unless they are doing 50mph of course, then it should be a swift overtake.

    Or just buy a TDI FFS! lol


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  7. #6
    _G_
    _G_'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Depends if you slow back down to your original speed after the overtake. If MPG is all that important, why bother with the overtake, just hang back and take it easy, unless they are doing 50mph of course, then it should be a swift overtake.

    Or just buy a TDI FFS! lol
    No... never... diesel will never take me alive. You have to drug me first...

    Okay okay... I've just being playing around with the speed but never exceed 80... I think I will go back to 70 now... or lower... it is boring sometimes but I do find it relaxing... I look to the right and see people doing mad speeds... think to myself... glad that is not me if there is an undercover car up ahead or panda in the bushes.

    Cheers for the replies... I guess slow and steady wins the race.. I slowed down but then this pee taker pulled in front of me from the right side... he was doing 100+ and then all of a sudden slows down to 60 odd in front... so it ruined my happy 75 moment.

    I want cruise control damn it! NHN did not reply!!!
    Last edited by _G_; 4th February 2013 at 14:46.

  8. #7
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    Just out of interest, how are you measuring your consumption? If its the onboard computer take no notice.It lies big style.In my TDI ( i can feel you shudder) the dis tells me that on average im getting 40-45 mpg constantly.Upon filling up brim to brim and a quick calculation tells me that Im actualy getting 32-33mpg.Whether i boot it or not.My fuel gauge bongs at me when i hit 420 miles EVERY time.Only once in nearly 4 years have i ever got over 40, and that was a round trip of 450 miles on motorway steady cruising.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  9. #8
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    Just out of interest, how are you measuring your consumption? If its the onboard computer take no notice.It lies big style.In my TDI ( i can feel you shudder) the dis tells me that on average im getting 40-45 mpg constantly.Upon filling up brim to brim and a quick calculation tells me that Im actualy getting 32-33mpg.Whether i boot it or not.My fuel gauge bongs at me when i hit 420 miles EVERY time.Only once in nearly 4 years have i ever got over 40, and that was a round trip of 450 miles on motorway steady cruising.
    Must be the Auto box John, my P!ssrat Estate does around 40mpg brim to brim figures. but the DIS reckons I'm doing 47.9! lol For motorway only driving, I've seen 45mpg average. Not bad for a car that's 12yrs old and almost 200k miles!!


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  10. #9
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    jo, mines a manual
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  11. #10
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    jo, mines a manual
    Heavy right foot then! lol


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  12. #11
    _G_
    _G_'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    Just out of interest, how are you measuring your consumption? If its the onboard computer take no notice.It lies big style.In my TDI ( i can feel you shudder) the dis tells me that on average im getting 40-45 mpg constantly.Upon filling up brim to brim and a quick calculation tells me that Im actualy getting 32-33mpg.Whether i boot it or not.My fuel gauge bongs at me when i hit 420 miles EVERY time.Only once in nearly 4 years have i ever got over 40, and that was a round trip of 450 miles on motorway steady cruising.
    Yeh brim to brim testing... its s-tronic. No idea if that is heavier on the fuel... the DIS is full of isht.. yesterday on the way back I did a steady 70 and it varied from 38-42 and this morning the same journey, steady 70 it was saying 28-33... I'm like the 70... it did get a bit boring but it was relaxing... I feel more relaxed this morning compared when I was mashing the gas and doing a lot of over-takes... its like watching the world go by... and the best part was... undercover cops were up ahead... I'm glad that was not me they gave chase to! Shame on you bimmer boy... chin to chest in shame!

  13. #12
    A4_MaJiK's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    789

    My Social Networking

    Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    I have a manual and my DIS is optimistic on average by about 5mpg. I'm sure you can adjust values in VAGCOM to get it to give more accurate figures.

    Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

  14. #13
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    Quote Originally Posted by _G_ View Post
    Yeh brim to brim testing... its s-tronic. No idea if that is heavier on the fuel... the DIS is full of isht.. yesterday on the way back I did a steady 70 and it varied from 38-42 and this morning the same journey, steady 70 it was saying 28-33... I'm like the 70... it did get a bit boring but it was relaxing... I feel more relaxed this morning compared when I was mashing the gas and doing a lot of over-takes... its like watching the world go by... and the best part was... undercover cops were up ahead... I'm glad that was not me they gave chase to! Shame on you bimmer boy... chin to chest in shame!
    Automatics generally are more thirsty than manuals, apart from DSG auto's, which are suppose to be economical.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  15. #14
    robbiemac's Avatar
    'S' Button engaged....

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    733
    Started to get a steady mid-30's mpg when I'm on decent length journeys. DSG box, low revs stick to 70ish....! Obvious point but empty the boot of all the usual rubbish, it could make a difference especially if you've forgotten about the cement mixer you left in there since last Christmas...... Hitman joke not for everyone I guess.....
    With great power comes great responsibility.......

  16. #15
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by _G_ View Post
    No... never... diesel will never take me alive. You have to drug me first...
    lol. what is it with diesel drivers that makes them think whenever petrol drivers talk about fuel consumption, it must mean we're complaining?

    Same as ...I wouldn't buy a dirty derv if they gave me the money for it.
    robbiemac likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  17. #16
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    I was like this 12 years ago, derv is is a no go for a petrolhead! But having owned and lived with one for 10yrs+, it was the most economical thing I could have done! Of course I have the advantage of still keeping my S3 as a weekender.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  18. #17
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I was like this 12 years ago, derv is is a no go for a petrolhead! But having owned and lived with one for 10yrs+, it was the most economical thing I could have done! Of course I have the advantage of still keeping my S3 as a weekender.
    ..that's cheating!!! my weekender would have been the mrs' 1.4 Polo (petrol) ...

    Compared to a 309 GTi & 2x Mondeo 24v I had previously, this is quicker & more economical than all 3! I'm not about to complain.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  19. #18
    _G_
    _G_'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I was like this 12 years ago, derv is is a no go for a petrolhead! But having owned and lived with one for 10yrs+, it was the most economical thing I could have done! Of course I have the advantage of still keeping my S3 as a weekender.
    You make it sound like a marriage mate :-p

    D.I.S. Finally figured out what it stands for: Display Incorrect S**T

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Question about RS3 Hood and Fenders
    By S38P in forum RS3 Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th November 2011, 14:41
  2. Questions about HID kits and 09 RNSe
    By PregnantNproud in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11th December 2009, 09:03
  3. hi! (and question about climate control)
    By skanky in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th July 2006, 08:25
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 1st March 2006, 10:22
  5. Question About Boost and Twin Turbos
    By pipewerkz in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th November 2004, 00:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO