EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    Talking what would you have?

    Hi all

    As a newbie to audi cars and other vag cars your opinion is appreciated.

    Im thinking for my next car:

    audi a3 8L 3.2 v6

    audi a3 8L 1.8t

    or

    cupra r 1.8t

    Im after 250 bhp with similar torque, mpg isnt an issue.

    I know the seat badge (brand) isnt as sought after as an audi (no disrespect to seat owners) but image is everything.

    however, I like the look of the seat over the audi a3.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,505
    The 3.2 V6 is only available in the 8P shape, for 250bhp, you might want to consider an 8L S3, which is a 1.8T in a higher state of tune.

    So 8P 3.2 V6 quattro 250ps/247bhp? out the box
    or 8L S3, stage1 remap for around 250bhp
    or Leon Cupra R, stage1 remap to around 250bhp(same engine as 8L S3!)



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  4. #3
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    what would you have?

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The 3.2 V6 is only available in the 8P shape, for 250bhp, you might want to consider an 8L S3, which is a 1.8T in a higher state of tune.

    So 8P 3.2 V6 quattro 250ps/247bhp? out the box
    or 8L S3, stage1 remap for around 250bhp
    or Leon Cupra R, stage1 remap to around 250bhp(same engine as 8L S3!)
    ^^^^
    Thanks matey.

    Which one would you all prefer ?

  5. #4
    slepy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,128
    Cupra R because it's a better looking car than S3 8L

  6. #5
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,505
    Quote Originally Posted by hughjass View Post
    ^^^^
    Thanks matey.

    Which one would you all prefer ?
    Depends on what you want? 3.2 is very thirsty, has little tuning potential, but sound great. 8L S3 has 4wd and will tune to 250+ with just a remap, stick a B5 3" TIP, and it's 265ish bhp. LCR is 2wd only. but once remapped, it should be quicker than an S3 in the dry, and probably a bit more fun to drive, but the car itself is definitely not as well built. Choice is upto you really.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  7. #6
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,505
    Quote Originally Posted by slepy View Post
    Cupra R because it's a better looking car than S3 8L
    I like the look of LCR's, they look quick parked up, but I thing the S3 is a better looker personally. The Leon hasn't aged well, where as the 8L still looks good, in my opinion.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  8. #7
    slepy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,128
    I can't agree with you there. IMO S3 aged worse than mk1 leon cupra/cupra r.
    For me it looks just like an old A3. Nothing special.

  9. #8
    silver_vw's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    purgatory
    Posts
    149
    I'd get the 8P 3.2 V6 quattro 250ps/247bhp - that's my preference.

  10. #9
    slepy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,128
    If he can afford 8P than I wouldn't think about it twice.

  11. #10
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    what would you have?

    Quote Originally Posted by slepy View Post
    If he can afford 8P than I wouldn't think about it twice.
    ^^^^
    Is just the styling differance, as I've seen 8L's with 8p styling.

  12. #11
    CharlieRCupes's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    34
    Cupra R

  13. #12
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    what would you have?

    It does seem to be cupra r?

    Is the traction control up to any good?

  14. #13
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,533
    Quote Originally Posted by hughjass View Post
    It does seem to be cupra r?

    Is the traction control up to any good?
    yeh, in that it will ruin any fun you want to have

  15. #14
    CharlieRCupes's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    yeh, in that it will ruin any fun you want to have
    LOL why's that then? I'm sure its more fun to drive than these Haldex thingys

  16. #15
    slepy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,128
    Have you ever driven one? Doubt that...

  17. #16
    CharlieRCupes's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    34
    Have I driven what an s3? I have yes

  18. #17
    slepy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,128
    I meant superkarl driving a leon cupra.

  19. #18
    CharlieRCupes's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    34
    Except for the obvious advantages in low speed traction, I found the s3 a bit numb to drive imo.

  20. #19
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    what would you have?

    No I've not driven either yet.

    I'm awaiting payout then on the hunt.
    I got told yesterday my old car is a cat c write off.

    I've found a nice cupra r at the right price, but ill test drive both before jumping in.

    I've owned a few sporty cars in my long illustrious driving career;

    Gt4 mk1
    Rx7
    4 door r33 gtst skyline
    R34 gtt skyline.

    The cars before that are too embarasing to list. Lol

  21. #20
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,505
    hughjass(nice username btw! ), it comes down to what you want really? I take it all are within your budget, is you are asking right?

    8L Audi S3, The all rounder, it needs a stage1 remap to make it into a quick car, out the box, it very ordinary performance, as hothatches have the same, if not more power these days, the game has moved on, but you get all year round usability, with 4wd traction, a lot of toys as standard spec, and good built quality.

    8P Audi 3.2 V6, more of a GT than a sporting hatchback in my opinion, quicker than an 8L S3 out the box, but the heavy engine up front, it effects handling on the limit, and they are thirsty, but sound great. Usual Audi built quality, but my opinion is, the quality of materials used in the interior isn't as good as the 8L.

    LCR, it's basically a 2wd version of the 8L, with 2 less wheels driven, it has less transmission losses, so it's a quicker car than the S3, but lacks the offline traction. The interior is again a step down in materials on the S3, even though the dash is of the same design, more practical as it has 5 doors and a decent boot, and you get Brembo's as standard! More of a driver's car than the S3.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  22. #21
    hughjass's Avatar
    Is there somefin in my teef?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    staffordshire
    Posts
    289

    what would you have?

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    hughjass(nice username btw! ), it comes down to what you want really? I take it all are within your budget, is you are asking right?

    8L Audi S3, The all rounder, it needs a stage1 remap to make it into a quick car, out the box, it very ordinary performance, as hothatches have the same, if not more power these days, the game has moved on, but you get all year round usability, with 4wd traction, a lot of toys as standard spec, and good built quality.

    8P Audi 3.2 V6, more of a GT than a sporting hatchback in my opinion, quicker than an 8L S3 out the box, but the heavy engine up front, it effects handling on the limit, and they are thirsty, but sound great. Usual Audi built quality, but my opinion is, the quality of materials used in the interior isn't as good as the 8L.

    LCR, it's basically a 2wd version of the 8L, with 2 less wheels driven, it has less transmission losses, so it's a quicker car than the S3, but lacks the offline traction. The interior is again a step down in materials on the S3, even though the dash is of the same design, more practical as it has 5 doors and a decent boot, and you get Brembo's as standard! More of a driver's car than the S3.
    ^^^^
    Hughjass is my username on a few forums, always gets a giggle. Lol

    When I 1st used it on skylineownersforum a guy posted a couple of washers I needed for an oil line and addressed it the hugh jass for a laugh. The postie knocked on the door just ask if it was my real name. Lol

    It's stuck ever since.

    Thanks for the feed back on car specs and opinion, absolutely spot on info.

    Soooooooo, LCR 1.8t. Or audi a3 1.8t Quattro.

    The 3.2 v6 is still an option, but fuel is more and less tuning capability ( unless big bucks with turbo conversion or supercharger).

    I checked YouTube and the 3.2 v6 does sound awesome. ;-) oh poo changing my mind again.

    Need to test drive em all.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 A4 Tdi vs Passat Tdi- What would you have?
    By ruffrida in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9th July 2012, 11:10
  2. Audi S3 "Audi exclusive Paint" What colour would you have ?
    By madalex in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 17th August 2010, 11:17
  3. What would you have and why ? 140 or 170
    By Lew in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19th May 2010, 16:18
  4. What would you do?
    By clcollins in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st March 2004, 13:02
  5. What would you recommend for a runabout?
    By jxm96c in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th January 2004, 09:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO