Sub £1000 run arounds... any suggestions?

G

_G_

The boss wants me to cover a surgery in a really shady area... hub caps go missing... staff come back to cars on bricks (no security bolts on those ones)... mirrors have been known to go missing too and cigarette burns on your paint work to mention but a few things...

So I am thinking of a 3-5 door cheap hatchback... 1.0-1.6 litre... cheap on insurance, reliable and easy to maintain.

Not that maintenance will be a problem as I usually do my own.

Any suggestions??? The budget is £1000... but I think it can be done with £500...

The journey will be twice a week... 12 miles there and 12 miles back... all A/B roads.

Thank you,

TDF

K11 Nissan Micra, you cannot really go far wrong.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

ford ka.

Everyones gonna be rushing out thinking their pizza or kebab has turned up if you get a micra!

A taxi ? 48 miles a week, is it worth the extra cost of insurance etc?

yeh it is because taxi drivers dont go to this area... Ive actually had taxi drivers say they will drop me off near by... and some companies have put the phone down on me... so its safe to say taxi is not an option but drop off is... and it just so happens that my missus cannot drop me off on the days i want but then again i wouldn't want her driving in that area... enough said about the area but its not even a place where you want to walk into at 5pm...

HAHAHAHA K11 Micra... omg takes me back... my first car was actually a K11 and I dropped a 2.0 DET engine in it and embarassed a Porsche.. what makes it funnier is that I was going to have it covered by Sky at the time but Adrian Flux made me a sweet deal... anyhow... your pizza's here... I think it could be a good option... all the k11 seemed to need was spark plugs and oil and a regular seeing to the throttle body butterfly clip... was dead easy to maintain as there is hardly anything in the engine bay...

I was thinking of a 6n2 polo actually but they seem to have too many problems above 60k miles. I dont know much about these Polos... previous to the 6n2 so any thoughts appreciated:

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 GL 5dr Auto Hatchback 1998

changed the postcode to a randome one! cant believe it is taking so much brain power just to get a budget car but the main thing is dont want to be breaking down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brixton. GAS gang still operating in this particular area. Yeh just downloaded the app having a look now.

I bought my birds 6n polo open air for £900 on a v, 1.4CL and it's just flown through its test at 120k only needing a pair of tyres.

Afla 147 1.6 TS

Audi A3 1.6

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec

Peugeot 206 1.4

WV Golf MK 3/4

VW Lupo 1.4

My fav: VW Polo GTi 1.6 16v

To be fair for a grand you could get a pretty decent pre-facelift 1.8t A3.

Oh man, if you said a couple of weeks ago, you could have had the wifes Polo 6N2!!

Mint condition, with 80k on the clock, Eibach, Billys, Full SS Exhaust, Jetex Filter, total closure, FSH all for £1k!!

But its gone now, had to chop it in and ended up getting £500 for it!! :(

Brixton isn't that bad now. It used to be but not now. Where abouts in Brixton. Could you not tube it?

Oh man, if you said a couple of weeks ago, you could have had the wifes Polo 6N2!!

Mint condition, with 80k on the clock, Eibach, Billys, Full SS Exhaust, Jetex Filter, total closure, FSH all for £1k!!

But its gone now, had to chop it in and ended up getting £500 for it!! :(

this sucks!!!! on that note i brought a 6n2 off piston heads.. with koni's, eibachs and miltek... 18k genuine miles.. £900

nah s3rav need to be mobile between locations tube would take too long.. well in terms of it being bad.. im not sure, a guy got stabbed there two days ago over a slice of pizza.. all cos some junkie had the munchies!