How to get money back from dealer for faulty car - help please?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I shall try and keep this brief as its a long story...

About 3 months ago I bought an A3 from a car supermarket who does have a terrible reputation, it was due to the cars spec, looking back I wish I had never seen the thing!

During this time its had various but one inttermitent hesitation, its had many new parts and went back to that garage twice, and do 4 other garages, none of whom could get to the bottom of it, but all aknowledge there is a fault.

It finally got sent to Audi who turned around and said they cannot find anything wrong, yes idots because it comes and goes!
Therefore the supermarket are saying they feel they have done all they can but refuse to give me the 12k back, they started offering a...good...p/ex price, wtf? then said they would allow me the full money back against another car of any value.

Today I went to view the car, which was a crapper, i looked at several other crappers and finally found a Golf which seemed all ok, apart from when we got back and it had spurted tiny bits of oil over the bumper and tailgate, looking at exhaust its leaking oil, after hours of going round in circles I agreed to let them diagnose and replace what they guess would be the turbo gone.

This gives 1/2n my money back, and then I plan to either use for a while or sell it straight on.

They did also offer me £11500 back, which leaves me £700 out of pocket through no fault of my own, plus about £500 i spent in having the car serviced when I first got it, plus fuel all around and phone calls.

All well and good but I cant help feel not satifsfied.

I know about sale of goods etc... but I tried and tried and they are quite happy to let me go off to trading standards or court, which we all know is going to take time and money.

Really stuck now what to do

Can anybody help?

Many thanks

CB

Take the money and take the loss.Why the F did you buy it from a known crap dealer in the first place??

Rock .... You .... Hard Place

It sucks mate but I agree with JTP, take the money, accept the loss, take it as a learning curve.

P.S anything that is not attached with a bolt don't give back!
I'll swap my glovebox as my switch has gone :sly:

Sale of goods act would apply, but somewhere in there there will be a bit, where they can reduce the amount of refund if you have had use of the car. So for 3 months you have been using it, and you lose £1300. You didnt NEED to get it serviced, it should have been serviced id imagine before picking it up. So really there offer of pretty much all your money back is reasonable, and i think the courts would probably agree.

They are unable to fix it to your satisfaction, so refuse the car and take the money. If they were offering 2-3k less id probably be inclined to go through the legal system.

Good luck with it, I had no end of problems with mine at a 2nd hand dealer, but far less money involved!

this is a mine field but I will tell you what I do know and anyone can correct me if I am wrong... first of all... some dealers/supermarkets offer a 3 month or 6 month warranty... are you still within your warranty period and if so then is the 3, 6 or longer?

the honus is on the dealer to prove that something is wrong... if Audi have turned around and said that they could not find a thing then don't lose hope... you can take it to another audi garage... or what I did was... I emailed honest john for advice... and he provided me with details of an independent inspection company... this company will fight your corner but costs a bit... my report cost me £90. The independent report proved that something was wrong/faulty and there was extra honus on the dealer to counter-argue that... double blow to prove it to the supermarket in question... topped that off with 1. got the financial services ombudsman involved... 2. added clowt by speaking with local trading standards... 3. wrote to the local newspaper about said supermarket exposing them... so you have a range of avenues to look down. Speak to a trading standards duty worker if you can they can usually offer sound advice.

Finally, this site is also fantastic... sorry I cant find it... its some UK Gov site for customer complaints... you can call them or email them and they respond within a set time frame... you have a lot of rights!!! more than some people are willing to let you know.

Hi all,

Thought I would update on this one as now resolved...

After further negotiation I ended up getting £11850 back for the car, not ideal but ok and considering I had it 4 months in the end it could have been worse, right at the end I found out the turbo they fitted despite being new was non-genuine so had started putting black soot onto the bulkhead as didnt fit 100% correct! I actually had 8 different courtesy cars in that time!

I went back to driving my Golf Match TDi, but have just bought a Leon FR TDi 150 bhp off my mate as he was changing cars, funny enough he bought it from me 3 years ago when I was a car salesman so I know the full history of me and I have to say, its a lot more fun and a lot less worry :)

Just like to say thank you to all who gave advice on the countless posts about the daily new fault that seemed to occur with the A3!

Cheers and hope all your cars are behaving ;)

CB