MOT suprises on cars online history check.

@udi A3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.immotec.co.uk
I bought an A6 V6 auto a few months back with an ABS warning, amongst other faults.
MOT is due next month so had a look to see what had been replaced or advised last yeah to get an idea.

Now heres a copy of last 2 failures.

Garage one failed:
Date of test:06/10/2011Certificate issue refused (Fail)
Odometer reading:145,173 Miles
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault (3.4.1c)
Rear registration plate deteriorated (6.3.1d)
Offside Front Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
Nearside Front Headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced (1.7.5a)
Offside Front Headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced (1.7.5a)
Offside Front Upper Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Fuel filter Fuel system component leaking (7.2.3) **DANGEROUS**
Advisory Notice issued
Nearside Front Direction indicators slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Front Brake lining(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Oil leak

Garage 2 failed:
Date of test:18/11/2011Certificate issue refused (Fail)
Odometer reading:145,495 Miles
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
Nearside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
No Advisory Notice issued

However garage 2 did work to the car (there stamp on the number plate previously failed on)

and garage 2 then passed:

Date of test:18/11/2011Certificate issued (Pass)
Odometer reading:145,495 Miles
No Advisory Notice issued

My concerns:

If garage 2 did the work needed for the MOT (at least the number plate change), why did it then fail on just a headlamp not working, as this was indicated in the previous failure and none of the other faults were on garage 2 failure.

When i collected the car, there was the abs fault (new abs ecu fitted to fix the no comms error while in my care), there was a failable exhaust blow, the headlights are still deteriorated, the low tyre was replace by myself the day i collected the car. And the oil leak was there.
None of these faults were included on the pass tickets advisery, so would assume they were fixed (one the fail advisery but not the pass i would assume faults are fixed?)

IMO the mot has been done by a dodgy garage, and the car parked up for 6 months before selling on. (within 1-3 months of mot it can be challenged) so waiting 6 months would cover the mot stations mistakes.

This is just my opinion, and garage names have been removed of course.
I suspect when i mot it next month ill be left with a very similar failure sheet where the exhuast oil leak and lights are concerned.

whats your thoughts?

Sadly a lot of things are open to interpretation as too what constitutes too much play, or a dangerous oil leak or even a poor output from a headlight.

148883miles today, not sure about milage when we got it. we have maybe covered 1500-2000 miles since we have had it.

I apreciate there is a lot of 'mot tester discretion' .

Im confused as to why the owner may have had garage 2 replace the number plate, but not fix the headlight for instance before the mot test?

In my opinion he probably decided to take it to a "friendly" MOT tester after the visit to the first garage.

It could be the first MOT station wanted to work on the car and in their opinion the car needed working on.The best thing I recommend is to get friendly with a mechanic, never bribe them with beers or anything, but whenever your car needs working on take a tin of biscuits or something to eat / drink while they are at work. Build a rapport and then you'll always have a friendly garage for honest advice. My mechanic is worth his weight in gold for the work he does for me. Charges me £10 to do the tracking :-D

as ads says
the 1st garage could have been trying to charge for work that didnt need doing
id put it in for a mot see what comes up.