2 seater soft top between 5k-10k for Sister - What would you go for?

Maz

Reaction score
Morning all, my sister is looking for a new car, her trusty old Polo is getting on a bit and it's time to move on.

She ideally wants an SLK but I suggested the MX5 or TT would be better, what would you guys suggest.

We have a healthy budget to work with so there should be a hell of a lot of cars out there to consider.

Couple of things to bare in mind, she's only a shorty so wants a small car, old car was a 1.4 and she wants something low maintenance and reliable.

Help her make the right choice.

Thanks.

If she wants something cheap to run and great to drive, then MX5, they really do hold the road well. But realistically, women want something that looks flash when they are after an open top car. SLKs are nice and easy to live with in Auto form, Mercs make the best auto's in my opinion, but you sit quite far back, and the rear suspension is quite firm on these for some reason. TT speaks for itself really, same common problems as the A3/S3 in general, buy a FWD one to reduce running costs, easy to drive, and great Audi built quality etc. as I'm sure you know, the shape is still great in my opinion.

Cheers Jojo, we plan to get some test drives booked in this wknd to get a better idea and narrow down the choice. She hasn't driven an auto before so that rules out an auto box but you never know women change their minds like the wind so we shall see. Never driven an MX5 before so look forward to having a go

What engine size is the one to go for in the MX5?

As above the MX5 is probably the best £ for £ roadster, I had an S2000 for 4 years fantastic car but can be a handful at times and not cheap to insure and run daily, 230 miles to a full tank.

Cheers Jojo, we plan to get some test drives booked in this wknd to get a better idea and narrow down the choice. She hasn't driven an auto before so that rules out an auto box but you never know women change their minds like the wind so we shall see. Never driven an MX5 before so look forward to having a go

My mate has just bought his wife one 04 plate think is was 3.5k the older ones were 1.6 and 1.8 not sure on the latest model.

For the price range, I'm guessing you are looking at a mk3 MX5? 1.8 is adequate, cheaper roadtax and better fuel economy, but 2.0 is the mans choice naturally.

Why does she "ideally" want an SLK? Bet it's because of the badge.

99.9% of all SLK's and MX-5's I see on the road have a female behind the wheel so either would be "ideal". Just remember Mercedes are not as reiaible or cost effective as many would have you believe, but many can't see beyond that 3 pointed star.

My choice would be a 350Z, but you could sneak a BMW Z4 for 10k. If she wants cheap and girlie why not a fiat 500?

This is NOT a sexist remark as it goes for everyone considering two seater softtops, but think about RWD, FWD and AWL. Being enthusiasts we all know what happens with heavy foot in RWD cars especially in the wet. If your sister understand cars and can recognise a car on the limit then of course it will be no problem. However, my sister and my mother have no idea about cars, so I'd never recommend them a short wheel base RWD car. Just a thought, not a sexist remark as I know plenty of women who can drift cars better than anyone I know

MX5 every single time.

The "best" 2 seater sports car ever produced, it has always been top dog.

There is a new one coming out next year and pre facelift Mk3's are cheap as chips now. You would even get a tidy facelift in that budget.

Resale value is better than all the rest, they handle better, drive better and just don't break.

If you wanted her to man up a bit, read this - PistonHeads Headlines - BBR spices up MX-5 1.8

/thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!

quick update, we've played with a few early mk3 mx5's and in the words of Tony the tiger they're grreeeaaattt! Lovely little things that are all about driving with a smile on your face! Plastics are ****e if I'm honest but was impressed that the sport versions come with bilstein shocks as standard! Haven't tried a tt roadster yet but we've dropped the slk from the list it's now between the Mazda and the Audi.

Thanks for the input guys!

quick update, we've played with a few early mk3 mx5's and in the words of Tony the tiger they're grreeeaaattt! Lovely little things that are all about driving with a smile on your face! Plastics are ****e if I'm honest but was impressed that the sport versions come with bilstein shocks as standard! Haven't tried a tt roadster yet but we've dropped the slk from the list it's now between the Mazda and the Audi.

TT's drive like a sack of ****e compared to an MX5 ;)

MX5 Sport Tech's have quick racks as standard, they have tuned billies all round with eibach ARB's and springs, they have properly triangulated strut braces front and rear, a proper limited slip diff, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, they have a better drag co-efficient than a Ferrari F50 and most importantly they have the lowest polar moment of any convertible two seater sports car in production.

Did you lift the bonnet and obvserve the position of the engine bay from the side of the car? The front main bearing for the crank sits totally laser line style straight over the center of the front hubs. Which gives no understeer at all.

Here's one I've got at work ;)

255295_10151353443765130_1987428883_n.jpg

558301_10151353444140130_833436826_n.jpg

526310_10151353444310130_2145610041_n.jpg

Look at how far back the engine is -

376822_10151353444740130_376722444_n.jpg

553914_10151353445140130_923429513_n.jpg

295945_10151353445345130_795596935_n.jpg

Doooo it.

(guess what I do for a living ;))

Lol, so you know all about the mx5 smile then! Salesman quoted that line and I thought cheesy but it's the truth.

So do you get your hands dirty or use that silver tongue of yours?

That gt is nice, what's it like to drive? We saw a few limited editions in the showroom and I'm liking the rear diffuser and other little touches. The seating position is great with everything close to hand!

Lol, so you know all about the mx5 smile then! Salesman quoted that line and I thought cheesy but it's the truth.

So do you get your hands dirty or use that silver tongue of yours?

That gt is nice, what's it like to drive? We saw a few limited editions in the showroom and I'm liking the rear diffuser and other little touches. The seating position is great with everything close to hand!

I am a salesman, but I'm one of the geeky ones that loves selling a car based on it's technical attributions as apposed to the badge engineering.

Yep, there is an MX5 smile. I don't use the line myself, but we find that most people have decided what car they want to buy long before they come into a showroom. For new cars people tend to see that as the final deal do-er after online research etc.

GT was great to drive, dare I say it perfect as a race ready weekend car. I've driven it around Rockingham, on the road, in a competitive hill climb and it has been faultless. That said, for a daily drive it is quite raw and I would much rather a sport tech.

Limited editions are a common theme with the MX5, dare I say you'd be mad to buy a standard car with all the special editions they make.

The MX5 doesn't have the interior thrills of the TT or the Merc and nor does it have the power, it's got climate, bose, a phone, cruise control and electric windows.

There's 158BHP and one of the best mass production chassis ever made. That's it. And for me that's why the MX5 has survived, it's stayed true to it's roots. The recipe for what makes a good sports car hasn't changed in 60 years; the MX5 has been the top dog for the last 22 years and is the best selling two seater sports car in history. That kind of says it all really

If anybody says they're gay or that they're girls cars; it's probably because they've never driven one or are bitter because they wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up on a good B road.

Tell her to get one, she'll be hooked for life.

(Do I sound like a salesman now? Feature dumping and cliche phrases, you're lucky I didn't mention Jinba Ittai.)

I am a salesman, but I'm one of the geeky ones that loves selling a car based on it's technical attributions as apposed to the badge engineering.

Yep, there is an MX5 smile. I don't use the line myself, but we find that most people have decided what car they want to buy long before they come into a showroom. For new cars people tend to see that as the final deal do-er after online research etc.

GT was great to drive, dare I say it perfect as a race ready weekend car. I've driven it around Rockingham, on the road, in a competitive hill climb and it has been faultless. That said, for a daily drive it is quite raw and I would much rather a sport tech.

Limited editions are a common theme with the MX5, dare I say you'd be mad to buy a standard car with all the special editions they make.

The MX5 doesn't have the interior thrills of the TT or the Merc and nor does it have the power, it's got climate, bose, a phone, cruise control and electric windows.

There's 158BHP and one of the best mass production chassis ever made. That's it. And for me that's why the MX5 has survived, it's stayed true to it's roots. The recipe for what makes a good sports car hasn't changed in 60 years; the MX5 has been the top dog for the last 22 years and is the best selling two seater sports car in history. That kind of says it all really

If anybody says they're gay or that they're girls cars; it's probably because they've never driven one or are bitter because they wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up on a good B road.

Tell her to get one, she'll be hooked for life.

(Do I sound like a salesman now? Feature dumping and cliche phrases, you're lucky I didn't mention Jinba Ittai.)

That sounds so rehearsed! :lmfao:

I've driven one and an s2k. It depends what you want.

For a female the mx5 is the better car, for someone who likes to put their footdown and have fun through the bends, the s2k is the winner.

Have owned used Mk1 MX-5 and nearly bought new later MX-5 but went for new Honda S2000.
Early MX-5's now cheap and tatty, very few good un-messed with ones left. Mk3 onwards MX-5's hardly beautiful, plasics ARE cheap if you compare with 30k cars and can't abide those contrived tacked-on looking flared wheel arches, and I'm sorry but big plasic diffusers just look silly. Nevertheless the best buy.
Honda S2000 an utter joy if only because it's not the blindingly obvious boring predictable route ie Z4/Boxster and thus you will nopt see another every mile or so. It's the choice of the 'thinking' usually capable sporting motorist who has the intelligence to see beyond a badge. BUT it will bite more than most if driven with careless abandon, is poorly specified, eats tyres, expensive to insure and below 5000 revs you might as well be driving a Civic for all the guts and torque it has. A modern day mans car in the tradition of 60's icons such as the Austin Heally and TR 2/3/4. GOODNESS I miss mine for anything else is just soppy.

If i were in the market for a 2 seater would have to be S2k :wub: