Is he lying? (sounds like an advice column thread)

G

_G_

My bro in law is a lying thieving piece of primordial excrement..

Anyhow... his VW Passat 2.0 PD, oil pump failed... and he said that the turbo went with it... but last few days he has changed his story to it took out the engine as well... now I don't know enough about the PD engine to say that an oil pump could cause such a huge damage... but can it??

He's asking my sister for money to fix it... and I just need to make sure that the story is so far fetched that she shouldn't give him a penny... the twonk scrounges off her and needs to pull his finger out and work harder... now... I can't do anything to him but I can make his life as miserable as hell (long story).

Cheers

Oil pump fail would lead to no oil pressure, which means goodbye to turbo and engine, depending on how far he traveled with the oil pressure warning on?!

Common problem on VAG 2.0 TDI's!

If the oil pump fails it means oil isn't being pumped from the bottom to the top of the engine, so therefore I'd imagine you get oil starvation at the top of a tall engine which will cause top end engine damage (cams). I don't know if the turbo would be affected by this or not,I suppose it depends on whether there is an oil feed from the same pump. You think he'd have had an oil warning light before this extensive level of damage has been done.

You could call his bluff, play concerned and say why don't you get an AA inspection before paying up as it sounds like a lot of money. If he turns it down or gets defensive you may have your answer!

cheers... i think i will give the aa, a call after all... nice one!

cheers... i think i will give the aa, a call after all... nice one!

Poasibly cheaper option, offer to take Pi$$rat to garage and get a quote for damage done? Alternatively you could buy him a 4 door saloon for much less than the cost of repair of new engine. He should be grateful for such a gift. Then say the vw must be signed over to you then you can strip n sell or fix and sell possibly making the money back?