Cherished plate info needed

JDM82

Reaction score
OK so I currently have a private plate on my car. Im planning on selling my car but not with the plate. Im thinking I need to get the plate off the car and on to a certificate? That costs £105 doesn't it? Then when I've sold me car and purchased a new car do I then have to pay another £105 to get the plate put on the new car?

How long does it roughly take to remove the cherished plate? I mean the change of documents and not the actual two screws :blink:

I know someone would say only a few minutes so I got that in early.

Cheers guys

£105 break down, £80 is to remove the plate from the car, £25 is to retain the plate onto a certificate in your name(nominee) which is valid for 12 months. During that time, there's no fee to put it onto your next car, just a £25 fee to renew the certificate every 12 months.

Time scale, if you have a DVLA office it would be pretty quick, couple of weeks for a letter to arrive through the post with a new assigned reg, then change the plates to the new reg. Putting the new plate on your next car can be done on the same day through a DVLA office also, by post, there's obviously the postal delay and backlog of applications, as you are in a queue. You can even do it at the time of purchase, if the seller will let you have the logbook.

You say a new assigned reg, does that mean that the original car reg won't be going back on the car? I will get a totally different one?

You say a new assigned reg, does that mean that the original car reg won't be going back on the car? I will get a totally different one?

If the original reg is still available, then I guess they will just revert it back to that one, if not, they will issue a random reg with the correct prefix to show it's age.

Yep, it will always be the reg the car originally had as they don't recycle them. Only exception is cars registered from new with cherished plates - they will get a completely new reg of appropriate age from the unissued pile.

Can anybody confirm what charges there are if I was to purchase a cherished plate and not transfer it to any vehicle immediately? Any help much appreciated.

depends where you buy the plate from, its its from the dvla its only the cost of the plate you pay, i.e £249. and that will include the fee for transfering to a car, when you get one. if its over a year before you get one you will have to pay £25 to keep the reg on retention

Also, I have come accross a plate that I am very interested in being BA57RAM - It's pretty cheap and is similar to my surname being BARTRAM.

I am reluctant to purchase it yet knowing that my car is on an 04 plate so won't be able to use it immediately.

1) Is it likely to drop in price when newer plates come available such as 12,62,13,63 etc etc?
2) Will it always be available unless somebody else purchases it or can the DVLA remove plates from the system?

I can't see anybody else being interested in it tbh but curious to know the answers to the above.

Thanks again.