Bought a daily, blown the gearbox on the drive home...

slowcoach3

Reaction score
In order to rest and replenish my S3 I thought I'd buy a daily so I can have it off the road for engine mods and a respray....good plan in general. Problem is I got 3/4 of the way home in my shiny ( not ) 1.4 ibiza and the gearbox ate itself and started spewing oil everwhere from the box, covering the wifes windscreen as she was following me home! I have now discovered that this is relatively common, instead of crying about it I thought I'd take the opportunity to learn a bit more and try and change the box myself.
My question to you very knowledgable chaps is when changing a gearbox is there anything else that needs to be changed? I'll be doing clutch, flywheel and bearings....Anything else to add?
So far this money saving, common sense idea hasn't quite worked out lol, bleeding cars!

Thanks man! I've left a shed load oil all over the road so it might be an idea :rock:

Oh great - thanks for that - I'll just go take out some extra life insurance. :(

Report the oil spill to the council so they can clean it up before any bikers get killed? :thumbsup:

Liam

With the amount of oil dropped on the roads by all the sheds running around on our roads, it's a wonder you bikers dare venture out at all!

May be worth while changing the Clutch Slave cylinder whilst you're at it, I didn't do it once, and for some reason the slave started leaking 20 miles after the swap, and caused the brand new clutch to slip and it all had to come out again!

Pretty sure the 1.4 Ibiza's have a solid flywheel so no need to replace. Up to around 2003 they had a clutch cable so no need to replace the slave cylinder either. The gearbox is very light so it's not actually a bad job at all.

Cheers for the info, I feel a bit better about it now. Managed to pick up a box,clutch and flywheel super cheap from a local vag
enthusiast so I'll use the parts in the best condition.
Benjamin, you say it's nice and light, do you think I'll be able to manage it on my own? It'll be my first box change.... The oil was lost on a mud and gravel backroad, any biker going down there would be having a lot more to contend with than just a patch of oily gravel! Devon roads = awesome fun

Last edited:
Cheers for the info, I feel a bit better about it now. Managed to pick up a box,clutch and flywheel super cheap from a local vag
enthusiast so I'll use the parts in the best condition.
Benjamin, you say it's nice and light, do you think I'll be able to manage it on my own? It'll be my first box change.... The oil was lost on a mud and gravel backroad, any biker going down there would be having a lot more to contend with than just a patch of oily gravel! Devon roads = awesome fun

Yes mate you'll be fine. It's literally a 2 hour job start to finish. Having a friend around is helpful though, even if it's just to make tea!

Brilliant, thanks for the input all. Much appreciated! Sooner I can get this done the sooner I can start on the S3 again :eyebrows:
Nice one Benjamin :thumbsup:

Not for our forum I know, but post some pics would be interesting to see how you get on.....

Yeh blight idea! ( money saving lol) good to see you giving it a go yourself mate!

On this subject though nearly all way from m1 jct 24 to m1 jct 29 today I seen oil/ diesel rainbow on road..... Great init

It'll be bolted, think I'll do a mini rebuild after reading a thread on ovwvortex today...doesn't look to bad a job. I'll make sure my s3 is in the.background of all the pics to keep it relevant!

You should have no problem at all changing the gearbox etc on your own, I think the box is 25-30kgs (you should be able to bicep curl one no worries ;) !!)

When your ready to do the change give me a text & I'll pop round.

Pat