Sky InsuranceBadger5
    4th Gear

Status

Bought a daily, blown the gearbox on the drive home...

In order to rest and replenish my S3 I thought I'd buy a daily so I can have it off the road for engine mods and a respray....good plan in general. Problem is I got 3/4 of the way home in my shiny ( not ) 1.4 ibiza and the gearbox ate itself and started spewing oil everwhere from the box, covering the wifes windscreen as she was following me home! I have now discovered that this is relatively common, instead of crying about it I thought I'd take the opportunity to learn a bit more and try and change the box myself.
    My question to you very knowledgable chaps is when changing a gearbox is there anything else that needs to be changed? I'll be doing clutch, flywheel and bearings....Anything else to add?
    So far this money saving, common sense idea hasn't quite worked out lol, bleeding cars!
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Anything else to add?
    Oil??
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks man! I've left a shed load oil all over the road so it might be an idea

4th Gear

Status
    Oh great - thanks for that - I'll just go take out some extra life insurance.

Report the oil spill to the council so they can clean it up before any bikers get killed?

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    With the amount of oil dropped on the roads by all the sheds running around on our roads, it's a wonder you bikers dare venture out at all!

May be worth while changing the Clutch Slave cylinder whilst you're at it, I didn't do it once, and for some reason the slave started leaking 20 miles after the swap, and caused the brand new clutch to slip and it all had to come out again!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Pretty sure the 1.4 Ibiza's have a solid flywheel so no need to replace. Up to around 2003 they had a clutch cable so no need to replace the slave cylinder either. The gearbox is very light so it's not actually a bad job at all.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    awesome news then
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers for the info, I feel a bit better about it now. Managed to pick up a box,clutch and flywheel super cheap from a local vag
    enthusiast so I'll use the parts in the best condition.
    Benjamin, you say it's nice and light, do you think I'll be able to manage it on my own? It'll be my first box change.... The oil was lost on a mud and gravel backroad, any biker going down there would be having a lot more to contend with than just a patch of oily gravel! Devon roads = awesome fun
    Last edited by slowcoach3; 14th August 2012 at 10:23. Reason: Rubbish HTC/fat fingers

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Cheers for the info, I feel a bit better about it now. Managed to pick up a box,clutch and flywheel super cheap from a local vag
    enthusiast so I'll use the parts in the best condition.
    Benjamin, you say it's nice and light, do you think I'll be able to manage it on my own? It'll be my first box change.... The oil was lost on a mud and gravel backroad, any biker going down there would be having a lot more to contend with than just a patch of oily gravel! Devon roads = awesome fun
    Yes mate you'll be fine. It's literally a 2 hour job start to finish. Having a friend around is helpful though, even if it's just to make tea!

4th Gear

Status
    Brilliant, thanks for the input all. Much appreciated! Sooner I can get this done the sooner I can start on the S3 again
    Nice one Benjamin

5th Gear

Status
    make sure the new box has bolts not rivits!
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Not for our forum I know, but post some pics would be interesting to see how you get on.....

Yeh blight idea! ( money saving lol) good to see you giving it a go yourself mate!

On this subject though nearly all way from m1 jct 24 to m1 jct 29 today I seen oil/ diesel rainbow on road..... Great init

4th Gear

Status
    It'll be bolted, think I'll do a mini rebuild after reading a thread on ovwvortex today...doesn't look to bad a job. I'll make sure my s3 is in the.background of all the pics to keep it relevant!

4th Gear

Status

Bought a daily, blown the gearbox on the drive home...

You should have no problem at all changing the gearbox etc on your own, I think the box is 25-30kgs (you should be able to bicep curl one no worries !!)

When your ready to do the change give me a text & I'll pop round.

Pat