Plasti Dipping offer

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Some of you might have heard me go on about plasti dip and how I think its amazing and what not.
If not I'll let you know now, I think its amazing and I love the stuff.

So much so I went out and bought a spraying unit and 5 litres of black plasti dip to see how I get one, what it is really like away from a rattle can and if its something that I want to do more than rattle can jobs.

The trouble is I got a limited about of kit to practise on and I don't like wasting it by spraying any thing.

So I thought I might as well see if the forum masses wants to help me help them in some round about way.

Basically its this.
I'll plasti dip any thing you guys want in black until I run out of this batch of black dip. After that no more free dip. If I like it and want to do more then you guys are more than welcome to supply me with the colour of dip you want and what you want dipping and I'll do it.

But while got this dip there is some limiting factors to this offer.
The main factor is size. I'm not going to paint your car or a bumper but I'm willing to do trims, handles, grills and other such items that will fit through the post.
You just need to cover postage to me and back to you.
If you want any other colours, metal flake or glossy then you can buy that your self or find someone who wants the same and split the pot, again I wont charge for my time (donations are all ways accepted.).

My list of items that I'm thinking of dipping when I get home is the rub strips on the GTI, my roof bars, Fathers lower bumper bits, brother in laws motorbike plastics and possible my roof but I need to think about that a bit more.

I'm not sure how well this is going to work or if it will work but the idea is out there now so lets see what happens.

You can do my electric window switch surrounds! I don't know how it will work, maybe we can remove them at aitp? :) I imagine plastidip would repair the nasty scratches from the previous owner quite nicely.

You can do my electric window switch surrounds! I don't know how it will work, maybe we can remove them at aitp? :) I imagine plastidip would repair the nasty scratches from the previous owner quite nicely.

Not sure mate.
Depending on the size of the scratches it might need sanding but I'm not sure how plasti dip will cope with deep scratches. Hence the offer. :)

But I'm happy to try mate.
No idea how your switch surrounds come off, if its any thing like my B5 you'll need to take the door card off.
Post up in the B6 section and see what they say.

Yeah, I've seen something before. I think it'd a door card off job. No doubt I'll end up posting them to you. As for the scratches, I was meaning to peel off the old stuff and then start from new.

I don't think just spraying over it would work too well either. I'll look later at removing the door cards, I'm stuck in a lab covered in soil. I have such kinky fetishes.

Yeah, I've seen something before. I think it'd a door card off job. No doubt I'll end up posting them to you. As for the scratches, I was meaning to peel off the old stuff and then start from new.

I don't think just spraying over it would work too well either. I'll look later at removing the door cards, I'm stuck in a lab covered in soil. I have such kinky fetishes.

Paint over the top, see how well it will do on scratches.
If it don't work, I'd just peel it off and flatten them.

I've just done my interior chrome door pulls (B5) with a rattle can and they have come out smart. £10 a tin though from http://www.plastidip.co.uk/ + postage so not cheap. It's only about $6 in the states. Did you manage to find it any cheaper Scott or an alternative to plastidip uk website?
If I could find it cheap enough I'd be tempted to buy one of those electric spray guns and do the whole car for a laugh
ScottB5 said:
and possible my roof but I need to think about that a bit more.
Go for it. You can just peel it off if you don't like

I've just done my interior chrome door pulls (B5) with a rattle can and they have come out smart. £10 a tin though from http://www.plastidip.co.uk/ + postage so not cheap. It's only about $6 in the states. Did you manage to find it any cheaper Scott or an alternative to plastidip uk website?
If I could find it cheap enough I'd be tempted to buy one of those electric spray guns and do the whole car for a laugh

Go for it. You can just peel it off if you don't like

I bought a electric sprayer and 5 litres of black dip.
No more rattle cans for me. WooHoo.

So would you thin that down 50/50? Can I ask what you paid for the dip and gun and what gun is it? I'd be itching for a go on my roof if I were you. I've been youtubed out of my mind with plastidip vids of late lol. Might have a go at the badges on the back at the weekend.

So would you thin that down 50/50? Can I ask what you paid for the dip and gun and what gun is it? I'd be itching for a go on my roof if I were you. I've been youtubed out of my mind with plastidip vids of late lol. Might have a go at the badges on the back at the weekend.

Its the Bosch PFS105. bout £130 from Amazon.
The 5 litres of Plasti Dip was £90.
Total price of £220.........:| ****, I could have got the rest of my car painted for that. :(

My understanding is 50%50 but this is why I want to test it, so I know for sure.
I got a week till AITP, if the weather is on my side I might be able to do it in time.

removing the excess plastic dip from Sarah bumper.
spent Saturday painting the bumper trims and door trims on Sarah's 206.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to AITP as my S3 is still off the road (been that way since Feb) but PM me your shipping address and I will look to get them off the car in a few days and post them to you.

Are you ok to take paypal so I can pay for the return shipping when the time comes?

Cheers

I am not going to AITP as my S3 is still off the road (been that way since Feb) but PM me your shipping address and I will look to get them off the car in a few days and post them to you.

Are you ok to take paypal so I can pay for the return shipping when the time comes?

Cheers

Paypal as a gift is fine.

PM on its way.

How you reckon you'll get on with my standard bonnet grill Scott?

just a question.
is it possible to plastidip alloys wheels?
surly it cant be that hard?

Can do.
More complex the spoke design it might throw up a challenge or two but that's all part of the fun.

I got a bit of challenge to do on a set in the next month. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
IMG_20120808_094326.jpg

IMG_20120808_094136.jpg

This all seems too easy... when he sprayed the whole car, what about things like door handles? Doesn't this stuff wear? Is it rubbery like that weird rubber stuff Audi put on plastics to make them look matt that wears off & looks awful?

Does it set harder after a day or so? Very intresting stuff...

This all seems too easy... when he sprayed the whole car, what about things like door handles? Doesn't this stuff wear? Is it rubbery like that weird rubber stuff Audi put on plastics to make them look matt that wears off & looks awful?

Does it set harder after a day or so? Very intresting stuff...

Its rubbery and it will wear like the stuff Audi coats the interior parts in but its thicker, so should last longer.
I've done it on my window rubbers and they have some abuse over the last couple of weeks with no issues.

Its should last along time under normal uses but if it gets a tear in it, then its over.
you can repair it or just peel it off and start again.

It sets like a sort of a rubber.
If you're going to AITP, you're more than welcome to take a look at my car.
If I get time I'll do a sample sheet of it for people to poke and prod.

The sample is a good idea you don't want a few hundred people prodding your bodywork Scott,I'd put a note on your car to that effect so no damage.
This stuff does look good though.

The sample is a good idea you don't want a few hundred people prodding your bodywork Scott,I'd put a note on your car to that effect so no damage.
This stuff does look good though.

Good idea.
I'd be ****** if people starting peeling it off. lol

I'll get dipping some random bits tonights for the sunday.

I have used plasti-dip a few times.

I re-coated my interior door handles - however, a month on and they are peeling.
I have also smoked the clear parts of the rear light lenses, sprayed the chrome boot strip and front grille.

The stuff works well, however I have noticed its prone to stone chips.etc which is acceptable for a product like this sprayed out of a can.

Its worthwhile having a spare can for touching up - and when you do touch up the stuff levels up perfectly so you cant tell it has been touched up.

I have used plasti-dip a few times.

I re-coated my interior door handles - however, a month on and they are peeling.
I have also smoked the clear parts of the rear light lenses, sprayed the chrome boot strip and front grille.

The stuff works well, however I have noticed its prone to stone chips.etc which is acceptable for a product like this sprayed out of a can.

Its worthwhile having a spare can for touching up - and when you do touch up the stuff levels up perfectly so you cant tell it has been touched up.

That's the spray cans for you.

I think the way I'm doing it (spray gun) is different, I can change the mixture, thinner or thicker, change the spray pattern and I'm not limited to 400ml of thinned down dip.
So I can make it thicker, stronger and hopefully last longer.
Time will tell.
Someone said they are brining handles for me to do, so that be interesting.

I think you should spray your whole car Scott, then do a charity raffle for the winners to start peeling the stuff from individual panels.

Its rubbery and it will wear like the stuff Audi coats the interior parts in but its thicker, so should last longer.
I've done it on my window rubbers and they have some abuse over the last couple of weeks with no issues.

Its should last along time under normal uses but if it gets a tear in it, then its over.
you can repair it or just peel it off and start again.

It sets like a sort of a rubber.

Sounds good! I live in Newquay & can't get to AITP this year, want to go next year though.

Do you have any of the gloss to mix with it? I want to plastidip my front grille from chrome in gloss black.

However I might just buy a can for £10 & see how I go with it.. has anyone used the cans? I know they're matt.. only, right?

Sounds good! I live in Newquay & can't get to AITP this year, want to go next year though.

Do you have any of the gloss to mix with it? I want to plastidip my front grille from chrome in gloss black.

However I might just buy a can for £10 & see how I go with it.. has anyone used the cans? I know they're matt.. only, right?

Rattle cans and all plasti dip is matt.
You will need the glossifier to make it gloss.
This comes in cans or big tubs same as the matt.

I don't have any glossifier.
I have done a test with normal lacquer and it looks ok. I'll get some pics when I get home, it should be fully dry and gives a better idea.

The cans are fine.
I've done my window rubbers and engine caps with the tins.

Rattle cans and all plasti dip is matt.
You will need the glossifier to make it gloss.
This comes in cans or big tubs same as the matt.

I don't have any glossifier.
I have done a test with normal lacquer and it looks ok. I'll get some pics when I get home, it should be fully dry and gives a better idea.

The cans are fine.
I've done my window rubbers and engine caps with the tins.

Nice, I will order a can now. Think I would need two for my front grille?

Matt black grille might actually look nice, if not I'll lacquer it. If it goes wrong I can peel it off :p

If not I will buy some glossifier & black & pop up to Plym!

Nice, I will order a can now. Think I would need two for my front grille?

Matt black grille might actually look nice, if not I'll lacquer it. If it goes wrong I can peel it off :p

If not I will buy some glossifier & black & pop up to Plym!

Here is my grill.
I did it yesterday.
Its not the best job cause I was messing about and put the dip on a bit to heavy and thick.
IMG_20120809_130349.jpg

Yeah thats cool.
You'd only need a 750ml container, so no need for the big tubs.

I'm going to vinyl it. I ordered 90cm x 100cm in black, gloss & matt. See how I like it. I vinyl'ed my desk so I should be able to get a good job out of it.

Next time my mechanic is here to fix my prop vibration he can get my grill off for me!! :)

i can truly say this is amazing i sprayed my fuel cap black and my boot black, then showed my friends, next day took it off showed my friends, they said damn you must of payed some one some money to do that in a night, hahaha

GET IT !!!!! i never really recomend a product but its good,

Could this work for smaller items too? My electric window controls are flaking off through use. Wonder is this stuff would make them look like new. Obviously the window pictures would be gone.. But they'd look better then what they do currently :)

Could this work for smaller items too? My electric window controls are flaking off through use. Wonder is this stuff would make them look like new. Obviously the window pictures would be gone.. But they'd look better then what they do currently :)

size is not really an issue.
big or small, all it depends on is money, time and patients.

I'll happily do your switches.
my dad wants his done but not sure on losing the symbols but he's lost the symbols cause the black has came off.

quick not, info, warning thingy.
I only got about 2 liters left.
I'm doing a batch of items this weekend.
so if it want stuff plastic dipped for free get it to me buy this weekend and I'll see see how far it will go.
once this tub is gone I will have to start charging (Mods/admin I will talk to you in the week).

Really tempted to get a kit and spray my entire car in the blue that S4 in the video above is in as mine needs a couple of bits touching up.