3.2 V6 Quat A3 or another 2.0 TFSI

G

_G_

Always had a thing for the 3.2 but never brought it as thought it was too old... now thinking... since we are moving to a hilly area/lots of inclines, climbs etc. With my lead foot I'd destroy the turbo holding it on full boost going up steep gradients. Would the 3.2 Quat be up for the job? Please share your thoughts if you have time :)

I just want something powerful enough to get up the climbs without breaking a sweat or smelling of fried clutch.

Go for it. Read up on all the stuff to look out for, and find yourself a well looked after v6 for under 5k. They're beautiful to drive, and it'd sound awesome cruising round the countryside. You wouldn't be dissapointed, just be prepared for low 20 mpg, and if you want big power you'll need a big wallet.

Yep. They sound great. End of benefits.

They aren't very quick and use a fair chink of fuel for the pleasure. Albeit I had the 2.8 V6 4motion Golf, so only 204 BHP, but I doubt the 8P would be actually much faster. The delivery is very smooth, which is noce, but it doesn't feel quick. And my 4.2 S4 was only about 3 mpg worse on the fuel, but with 140 BHP more, was worth every penny.

I would get the 2.0T and remap it. Job done. You will actually be able to see over 30 mpg if you want, and will be more than fast enough with it.

With my lead foot I'd destroy the turbo holding it on full boost going up steep gradients. Would the 3.2 Quat be up for the job?
These cars aren't made of chocolate - it's OK to give it full boost.

As for 3.2 vs 2.0t - for me it'd have to be a 2.0t. Easier to extract more power from, uses less fuel, less nose heavy, less tax.

As someone said above - the only benefit is the noise.

For what you want I'd have the 3.2 dsg over a 2.0T any day. You'll find the bigger engine is much better adapted to the hills than a smaller engined turbo'd car with more torque lower down. I find myself changing down more often in the S3 just to get "on turbo". It also has more character than a 2.0T
You can also have the 3.2 with quattro and dsg whereas the other models only started getting both in the 8p3's.
As for fuel consumption, yes you will use a little more, but not a lot tbh. I get roughly the same in the S3 as the 3.2, so I'd imagine a 2.0T would probably be 5mpg or so better off at best, less if using the turbo more.
Try both out and see what you think

thanks for your replies... i agree the only way will be to drive the 3.2 quattro.