I bought a clocked audi this week.

arb

Reaction score
I'm gutted, not only to find it out, but knowing i was so stupid.
I bought a 2001 a3 1.8t from an autotrader dealer with 105,000 miles.
It didn't have the previous mot's or service history. I was a bit dubious, but as they were a dealer i stupidly trusted them.

I went on the direct.gov mot history checker this evening.
Check your vehicle's MOT status and history online : Directgov - Motoring (click on mot history check)

it turns out that the feb 2011 mot showed the mileage as 145,000 !! So it could be anything upto 160,000 by now.

has anyone had previous experience of this?

lesson learnt. i will never ever hand over money unless i have a good amount of history with the car.

i have retrieved this info from searching the net, think i'll phone him tomorrow.
The seller will be responsible for giving you a false description,
even if they believed it to be true.

You can advise the seller that if he does not accept the car back
and refund you the full amount (less any discount for mileage
you have done) you will have no option but to commence legal
proceedings against him. You need to make it clear that he has
acted in breach of contract and has misrepresented the sale. Not
only that, but he has also committed a criminal offence by
selling a clocked car and you may also have to contact the police.

Hopefully al this will make him think again about whether to
accept the return and hopefully this matter will be resolved
without you having to go any further. Should he refuse, you have
the option of going to court to recover the money by submitting
your claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Refund and/or courts. They haven't got a leg to stand on.

you really should have done your checks
dealer or private
its a 2 min job to do

what dealer was it
a garage yard dealer or a private door step dealer

Definitely contacting dealer is first step. But it would seem they are either dodgy or just incompetent cos any dealer worth their salt should have done checks themselves...

personally i would rather a audi with 160.000 miles than
100.000 by this time most the things that go wrong with them have been done. my a3 1.8t is on 171.000 at the moment and not a issue apart from normal bushes etc but still you bought it in good faith so it is fraud at the end of the day !

these cars are getting old now... to the point that condition is what matters when buying them. history and low mileage is nice, personally id rather have a 200k car thats been looked after than an 80k car that hasnt!....
if 160k is what it could have done... if it drives nice, doesnt knock and bang suspension wise then you can say its already had all the common bushes and faults rectified/replaced that a 100k car wont have had done yet! food for thought!

but still the dealer should have done the checks themselves and known about it already! theyre either trying to fleese you (possibly cus theyve been fleesed themselves.) or theyve incompetent and have no clue!
imo if you want your money back or a reduction in what you paid then they havent a leg to stand on. the evidence you have that its been clocked.... take it with you!