AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Reesy

Thread: Well I am back...

  1. #1
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel

    Well I am back...

    You know how I sold up and left to go and buy a beemer?

    Well I have picked up this little beauty, it wasn't what I was expecting to buy but after a test drive I couldn't say no!

    One owner from new, full service history, 100% standard and almost mint.

    Photos are after a 6 hour paint correction I have done today, it hadn't EVER been polished as the owner had it coated with Diamondbrite when new...









    I cannot believe the level of spec this thing has got, and the drive is electric. Just like a modern day 205 GTI but with more power, more toys and more every day friendly. It walks all over my A3 in terms of driving enjoyment, spec, MPG etc. If you haven't driven one, I suggest you do!

    I love it, I am actually pissed off I didn't buy one a year ago when I was looking!
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    it wont be faster than your a3 will it? ....

  4. #3
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    it wont be faster than your a3 will it? ....
    Not in a straight line, but foo me it's 10x more fun and if you can find me an 8L (other than Prawns) that will go round a corner quicker I will eat my hat! It's SUCH a great car to drive, so rewarding.

    It's amazing to be able to bang it down a gear or two and thrash it to the red line, as apposed to a lazy low down power.

    Can't get it to do worse than 30MPG over a 5 mile average.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  5. #4
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,845
    *** Jardo!!

    Nice cars these 172s, sure they aren't as well built as an Audi, but that's not what you purchased it for!! I reckon this would give a standard 8L S3 a run for it's money 0-100 in the dry, how do I know? My sister use to own one, and I tried to race a Ferrari 360M in it also!(and lost) haha

    Why this over the E30 beemer though?


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  6. #5
    SL11CKK's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Barking & London
    Posts
    612
    But its French though!

    Nah just messing, but yeah they are great fun to drive. Just don't overdo it :D

  7. #6
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    It's built better than mine was haha!

    It is pretty quick as you say Jo, I don't think it would be far behind. It isn't REALLY fast though, could do with an extra 20bhp, there is a lot of useable torque though.

    I drove two E30's and they were good, but this was just so much more car. Kept standard and looked after it will be great, I just cannot believe the spec and the drive for a 100% standard car!
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  8. #7
    SL11CKK's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Barking & London
    Posts
    612
    Any interior shots then?

  9. #8
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    How long before this becomes a faster car then the 3.0 litre one (in your mind) and you go round looking to slay all the v6 owners?

  10. #9
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy:1528381
    How long before this becomes a faster car then the 3.0 litre one (in your mind) and you go round looking to slay all the v6 owners?
    Seeing as you asked it would take about 200bhp for the power to weight to balance out on a cup, which is cams, inlet manifold and mapping. A V6 clio weighs 1457KG dry, a Clio 172 with the cup pack is 1050KG, and mine is 1100KG wet.

    0 to 60 on a Cup is 6.7 and on a V6 it is 6.2, for the lightest phase 1 cars. In the real world I should think a Cup is actually a quicker car in standard form with a competent driver from what I have read. The V6's are known for being unbalanced and and not great off a track. Then when you stop at traffic lights it would catch fire.

    It is interesting how on the Clio forums people don't have this argument, because the V6 owners agree that the 172 is more than a match for a V6 off paper and in a real world enviroment. The owners tend to have them because they are iconic, not because they are quick.

    Interior -

    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  11. #10
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Seeing as you asked it would take about 200bhp for the power to weight to balance out on a cup, which is cams, inlet manifold and mapping. A V6 clio weighs 1457KG dry, a Clio 172 with the cup pack is 1050KG, and mine is 1100KG wet.

    0 to 60 on a Cup is 6.7 and on a V6 it is 6.2, for the lightest phase 1 cars. In the real world I should think a Cup is actually a quicker car in standard form with a competent driver from what I have read. The V6's are known for being unbalanced and and not great off a track. Then when you stop at traffic lights it would catch fire.

    It is interesting how on the Clio forums people don't have this argument, because the V6 owners agree that the 172 is more than a match for a V6 off paper and in a real world enviroment. The owners tend to have them because they are iconic, not because they are quick.

    Interior -

    Thank you Mr Clarkson for your review and opinion on both the Clio 172/V6 and the clio owners forums.

    They won't ever be of any use to me as I will never own a Renault as my car, but thank you all the same. As long as you are happy, that's the main thing (and you are away from ASN)
    Sandra likes this.

  12. #11
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Thank you Mr Clarkson for your review and opinion on both the Clio 172/V6 and the clio owners forums.

    They won't ever be of any use to me as I will never own a Renault as my car, but thank you all the same. As long as you are happy, that's the main thing (and you are away from ASN)
    Do I sense some snobbery there? I would never write any car off just because of it's brand, that's like saying all northerners are c**ts. Renault have held the record at the ring for fastest production FWD car for years now, the Clio Sports have always been the bench mark for a hot hatch since the first one came out. Every review you will ever read of a hot hatch will always refer to a Clio Sport.

    I really don't get you Chris, sometimes you come across as funny and sometimes you just seem like a **** stirring bellend.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  13. #12
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Do I sense some snobbery there? I would never write any car off just because of it's brand, that's like saying all northerners are c**ts. Renault have held the record at the ring for fastest production FWD car for years now, the Clio Sports have always been the bench mark for a hot hatch since the first one came out. Every review you will ever read of a hot hatch will always refer to a Clio Sport.

    I really don't get you Chris, sometimes you come across as funny and sometimes you just seem like a **** stirring bellend.
    Hahaha. You do sense some snobbery.. As much as I like owning a car that goes well/handles well/stops well, I also like a car that is a nice place to sit in or do loads of miles in, hence why I would never buy a renault. I learnt to drive in a 1.5dci clio, and have been in 2 or 3 clio sports and they are quick and very fun, but they feel like they forgot about making an interior and slapped it together out of melted down kid's toys.. For me, It falls in the same category as the VXR astra, the hot megane's, focus st etc as cars that would be great to own for about a week, and then you'd get in and go 'plastics are a bit cheap, doors don't shut very nicely'. This might be me being a snob, but it's the way I am..

    And as for being a **** stirring bellend, that's only to you, so take is as a compliment. None of it is meant with any malice, i just thought you liked a bit of sarcasm. If I have offended you

  14. #13
    16Klappe's Avatar
    Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    4,899

    My Social Networking

    Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Hahaha. You do sense some snobbery.. As much as I like owning a car that goes well/handles well/stops well, I also like a car that is a nice place to sit in or do loads of miles in, hence why I would never buy a renault. I learnt to drive in a 1.5dci clio, and have been in 2 or 3 clio sports and they are quick and very fun, but they feel like they forgot about making an interior and slapped it together out of melted down kid's toys.. For me, It falls in the same category as the VXR astra, the hot megane's, focus st etc as cars that would be great to own for about a week, and then you'd get in and go 'plastics are a bit cheap, doors don't shut very nicely'. This might be me being a snob, but it's the way I am..

    And as for being a **** stirring bellend, that's only to you, so take is as a compliment. None of it is meant with any malice, i just thought you liked a bit of sarcasm. If I have offended you
    I just find it a bit abrasive at times, we all like a laugh and a joke and as you know I'm as good at giving as any. I just don't read well, I see something written in black and white and read it in black and white. If it's offensive in text, that's how I'll read it. The joys of being a retard.

    Personally, I think it's a nice interior than my A3 was, and my girlfriends facelift. The interior plastics are a little cheap feeling, but then it's meant to be because it's light. It doesn't rattle, it isn't noisy, it is spacious and VERY well spec'd inside. All the panel gaps are good, I am a bit pissy about the plastic body panels, but who cares really. The doors have a nice clunk too them, even if they are a little light so my missus keeps throwing them open haha.

    This car has automatic bi-xenon lights, automatic wipers, climate control with AC, a 6 discs changer, cruise control, a solar reactive windscreen which changes color in bright light, full electric windows which are both one touch, heated rear screen, the rear wipe activates when you put it into reverse, it's got a full trip computer with a G meter and everything, plush leather and alcantera seats, a leather steering wheel, a proper set of aluminum pedals, nice Renault Sport fitted scuff plates, a proper luggage net and tie downs in the back so your shopping doesn't go anywhere, lumbar support for the driver and passenger and a height/tilt adjustable drivers seat, adjustable steering column, electric mirrors, it's got literally everything.

    Mine has one owner from new, silly low miles, full main dealer history and I picked it up for 1100 quid. I don't think you could possibly get a better car for the money.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

    Then never do them.

  15. #14
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Sounds a good spec motor, well done...now fook off to the renault forums............

  16. #15
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,845
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Seeing as you asked it would take about 200bhp for the power to weight to balance out on a cup, which is cams, inlet manifold and mapping. A V6 clio weighs 1457KG dry, a Clio 172 with the cup pack is 1050KG, and mine is 1100KG wet.

    0 to 60 on a Cup is 6.7 and on a V6 it is 6.2, for the lightest phase 1 cars. In the real world I should think a Cup is actually a quicker car in standard form with a competent driver from what I have read. The V6's are known for being unbalanced and and not great off a track. Then when you stop at traffic lights it would catch fire.

    It is interesting how on the Clio forums people don't have this argument, because the V6 owners agree that the 172 is more than a match for a V6 off paper and in a real world enviroment. The owners tend to have them because they are iconic, not because they are quick.
    I've driven a Clio V6 Phase1, they just look and sound good, a stage1 S3 would mince it in a straight line! Handling's crap due to all the weight being at the back killing the balance, and the wide rear tyres kills the turning circle also.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  17. #16
    MURRAYS444's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    782
    Nice car mate I was gonna get the same spec and colour before getting the S3 just got to rev the pants off it to get the performance!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. MY09/MY11 rear end comparison! back to back!!
    By S3RYE in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 6th February 2012, 21:43
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 8th November 2011, 15:29
  3. Seats stopped sliding forward (and back) when trying to allow passengers in da back??
    By kevin00 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd November 2011, 17:22
  4. WANTED - 1.8T exhaust - cat back with twin back boxes
    By Garfie in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th March 2010, 22:48
  5. RNS-E / Symphony II+ back to back comparison
    By GeoffT in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 6th May 2008, 23:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO