Appeal parking ticket?

daveyb0y

Reaction score
I got a parking ticket today from our local council (I didn't pay and display, but genuine mistake, I mis-read the sign!). Apparently I drive a silver Aston Martin, rather than an Audi!! However, the reg is correct, is this grounds to appeal do you think?

i got a parking ticket once in my old mk2 golf (8-9 years ago). i had some new plates made about 9 months before, anyway i looked at the ticket and thought thats not my reg, it said d516gwr. looked at my car and it did have that number on it, genuinly the first time i noticed the reg was wrong! really it should have been d615gwr.
over the next 3 months i got another 3 tickets, half on purpose.......
then i thought im pushing my luck here! so got the right reg number back on.

funnily enough i never paid or heard anything about those tickets!

back in my scirroco days (10 years ago). i got a speeding ticket from a panda car following me (i didnt see him) and the copper wrote the wrong road name on the ticket (i knew he had as i read it as he asked me to sign it sat in the cop car.) anyway i refused to sign it or hand over my driving licence at the road side (which i had it on me).
i challenged the ticket afterwards and i got let off because of the wrong road name...... the road he wrote did excist but it was around 4 miles away which wasnt where i was speeding! hahaha.

i believe the fact theyve wrote the wrong details invalidates your parking ticket. however if theyve got photo evidence to back up the ticket (which they nearly always have nowerdays) it doesnt matter, theyve got you even if they wrote "chitty chitty bang bang" as your make/model.... if theyve got a photo it doesnt matter.

i got a ticket last week suggesting i was in halfords for 7 hours !!!! i went there twice in one day once at 12.50 for 10 mins then once at 7.70 for another 5 or 10 mins they took the entry time from my first visit and the exit time from my second visit and are trying to say i was in the car park all that time ! i went there to buy wet and dry paper and was outside my house all day polishing the headlights on my car ! lol some things do make me sick ! i am appealing it at the monent. have sent a very strong letter to them and if they try to insist i was there i am notifing the local papers and plod as it is fraud i have witnesses that can state were i was on that day
annoyings !!!!!

steve

if its a private company, they'll ignore all your letters and carry on sending you threaten letters till they give up.
as a private company they cant legally issue you with fines, they look like official fines from police/council traffic wardens, but they arnt.
they are issuing you with invoices. and as such they cant make you pay them.

send them a letter stating the facts about your 2 visits to halfords and tell them you wont be paying their invoice, and you will ignore all contact from them to you, until your in receipt of official court action papers reguarding their invoice.
keep a copy yourself. keep a copy of their standard responce letter to ALL people that challenge.

after about 3 letters and 6 months. you'll then get a letter stating their intention to start court action. about a month after that you'll get another letter from a b/s solicitors (usually roxberge or greyham white.) stating they are now handling the claim, and they intend to file court action.
if they can get hold of your phone number they ring you too!
they'll hastle you like this till either they or you give up, their invoice total will keep going up, but one thing that will NEVER happen is court action!

READ UP! Parking / Traffic Offences

Last edited:
times when one of these have actually got to court.
the pcn company was claiming nearly £1000 for two failure to pay and display tickets. the judge ruled this was unfair and so was the original fine of £40/70 for each ticket.
the judge ruled that the original amount for the pay and display tickets be paid (totaling £15 i think!) plus £50 court costs.

If it's a "Parking Charge Notice" simply ignore it. If, however it's an authority ticket a "Penalty Charge Notice" they are fully enforceable but all is not lost. I succesfully contested a parking ticket I got in Lancaster as the signage was worse than useless. The ticket was overturned. Embarrasingly I got one last week in Hertfordshire, where I work as a lighting and signing engineer. Technically I got it wrong and should pay up but I like a fight so will pick holes in everything I can and appeal it. Do you have any pics of the signage in place?

the ticket i have is from TOWN AND CITY PARKING i live in south london area i dont think this is a council letter ??

thanks steve

i just googled town amd city parking HA!!!! there a private firm seems there giving out alot of tickets asda etc etc alot of unhappy people and as you said murran there not aloud to issue a fine etc etc i have sent them a letter about my 2 visits and have said my solicitor will be taking legal action if the letters/invoices persist to come i also state i will contact the authorities and local newspapers

here is a copy of the letter i sent ive trimmed off my details

I am writing about the fine I have received from you for the 01/03/2012 it states I entered the car park at 12.51.20 and I left at 19.15.04 . This information is incorrect if you check your cameras properly you will find I entered the car park twice that day as I do many days . I would never spend 7 hours ! at Halfords or Currys which are the only stores there. Both times I was in the car park for no more than twenty five minutes maximum.

I understand if this is a camera error but if this persists my solicitor will be contacting the local newspapers and council to enquire about how many complaints have been made about this problem already. This is not far from fraud and I have several witnesses that can place me in my car at several times throughout the day and I will be looking in to cctv footage.

Yours sincerely,

Steven ******

P.S I will be sending 3 copies of this letter out to insure you receive at least one so there is no confusion thank you .

they will totally ignore that letter and send you a standard "we have concidered and rejected your contest, but we have given you another 14 days on top to pay the original "fine" amount".

i know all this cus, i got one from "vehicle control services" in july.
i last got a letter from roxburghe soliciters saying i now owe them £208 and some random amount of pence, saying, in big red writing, i had "7 days to pay" to avoid court action. that was just before christmas! havnt heard owt since. hopefully theyve given up!

Last edited:
nice ;) thanks for the info i will keep you updated on what happens

thanks

If it says "Penalty Charge Notice" or "Notice of Intended Prosecution" then unless there was a problem with signage it's usually easiest to pay - these are council fines and totally enforceable.

If it says anything else, you can probably ignore it. I just sent them a letter stating that I would like some evidence as to who was driving the car at the time - I have several named drivers and occasionally loan my car out to friends, family members, colleagues with their own insurance (or those named on my policy) and am unable to recall who was driving my car at the time as I do not keep records. Then it's up to them to prove who had the car. After that, contest their loss of earnings - can they prove the car park was full, and that therefore they lost a customer because of you parking there? Then ask them to justify the amount - do they make profit on each customer equal to the amount they are charging you? Can they prove how long you were there and how many customers they lost because of it.

Other steps you can take
1) Check that there a sign on each entrance to the car park - one missing means it's unenforcable.
2) Take a photo of your car with empty spaces in clear view when you get the ticket. If the car park is half full, they don't have a leg to stand on.
3) Just ignore them - if they want to take you to court, you can take up all the above protests in court or when they actually send you a full notification of what they intend to do.
4) If you have a friendly solicitor, direct phone calls to them. Inform them in no uncertain terms that your solicitor is dealing witht his issue and any subsequent phone calls will be considered harassment.

Here is what i was sent all i scrubbed out was my name/address in top left corner and end of reg the rest is all theres and the back of the letter bares no relavance to anything official etc

AUDIEDITEDIMAGE.jpg

thanks for all your help guts you have been very helpful

Parking charge notice, ignore it. Do NOT send a letter stating you were driving or it puts you on shakey ground. Don't even send the letter, ignore them and they will go away after a few letters. You may get a letter from a debt collection agency but they will be linked to the parking company, they have no power and can only ask if you wouldn't mind stumping up. They will get bored and **** off eventually and try to mug somebody else

you can make a paper aeroplane out of that!

lol "PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE"
cus if you do ignore it, we cant make any money thru our scam and we're not guna take you to court cus we KNOW we would lose!
so pretty please if your really stupid and of a nervous disposition, pay the £40!

Lol - Does that mean I can park in any supermarket/mcdonald/kfc and not worry about the ticket I get through the post because its an empty threat. If that's the case I really like the idea of that :)

Glad I came accross this sorry to hijack this thread but I got a parking ticket the other morning, to cut a long story short I was working for a company renovating a harvester on brighton seafront, I worked Sunday night through to Monday afternoon and about 7.30 am I shot of to pick up some grout, came back and parked in a loading bay while I unloaded the 10 bags of grout, when I came back out after the 3rd trip I had a ticket on the windscreen, it has all correct details Audi reg no ect but they observed me for 4 mins, how long are you meant to get in a loading bay and is it worth contesting ad £70 is a lot of money to me at the moment. Again sorry to butt in but just curious. Thanks

yea i sent them the letter threatening to call police and newspapers as mentioned in my previous post im glad i dont need to worry about this now have learnt a great deal :)

thanks people steve

You have just shot yourself in the foot :( . In your letter you have acknowledged driving the vehicle. This means they CAN now persue you through court for the ticket sum. These companies cannot demand to know who was driving under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act and this is a very big reason to why the cases do not get persued legally. This is why I stated "Do not send the letter"

If you can retrieve the letter do so or you may find you have the aggrevation of a trip to court and may well get stung for the cost of at least part of the ticket and court costs rather than paying nothing at all.

The threat of the police and papers is futile and pointless as they are breaking no laws and are simply sending you an invoice.

hmmm owww darn but i actually wasent in the car park for as long as they stated thats why i appealed it in the first place ! spose i can hope they see there camera error but i doubt it .....i do have witnesses to say i was not there with my car at several points in the day as i was at the post office and working on my car etc

steve

naaa he has other reasons for contesting the ticket (the fact he wasnt there). doesnt matter hes admitted driving it in this case.

Right got a letter from town and city parking this morning :) we are sorry for the confusion and we are droping the charges :beerchug:

happy times will upload it tomoz lol

thanks for the advice im prepped up for parking wars now :D

steve

your probably the first person ever to get a letter from a private parking company informing you that they are dropping their persuit of you!