Help Me Choose An Audi!

RadicalRooster

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am thinking about getting an Audi in the near future, so I would really appreciate your help! I wouldn't be buying until summer time but I would like to have something to aim for!

I currently drive a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI and although it might not be that exciting it is incredibly cheap to run. Road tax costs me £30 a year, I get 60mpg and a week's worth of fuel costs about £50, but I would really like an Audi!

I commute to and from work which works out at about 100 miles a day, plus maybe 20 or 30 miles at the weekends. My commute is mainly A roads and dual carriage ways, whilst my weekend driving is mostly around town.

To spend, I will probably have about £5,000 - £8,000 including what I can get for my 207 part-ex.

Essentially I would still like to be achieve almost the same sort of economy as my Peugeot, so I am thinking TDI will be the way forward, also as I do a lot of miles a lower mileage example would also be ideal.

Initially I was thinking an A3 1.6 TDI but almost every one I have seen has 100,000+ miles, I thought about an A2 but I'm not too keen on the styling. I would love an A1 but I am not sure if I could afford one. I am open to any suggestion, but please bare in mind I am only 22 though so it can't be anything too fun!

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome to ASN
100k miles on a diesel is barely run in,get one which has had regular servicing and been cared for and your onto a winner

I agree with voorhees, 100k is nothing, worry about the maintenance and expense the car has had instead of the miles on the clock.

If you find a diesel, maintained well, used as a commuter similar to the way you will be using it, you'll be fine.

Thanks for your replies!

The only reason I was a bit warey of diesels with 100,000+ miles is that I will be doing about 25,000 a year, so in 2 years or so when I come to sell it I could see that being a bit difficult!

What can I expect MPG wise from a 1.6 TDI A3?

Thanks for your replies!

The only reason I was a bit warey of diesels with 100,000+ miles is that I will be doing about 25,000 a year, so in 2 years or so when I come to sell it I could see that being a bit difficult!

What can I expect MPG wise from a 1.6 TDI A3?
No such vehicle as a 1.6 diesel,1.9 or 2 litre and they differ from 44 to 55mpg combined

there is a 1.6 tdi A3 ???? but you'll be needing lots more than 8k lol think the earliet date of build is 2009 onwards but maybe 14k would be needed...... the little pug will be a hard car to beat for cheap running...... but you certainly get lots more luxury and exciting driving m8

there is a 1.6 tdi A3 ???? but you'll be needing lots more than 8k lol think the earliet date of build is 2009 onwards but maybe 14k would be needed...... the little pug will be a hard car to beat for cheap running...... but you certainly get lots more luxury and exciting driving m8
Yes I should of added not in the op's price range there isn't one

Thanks for your replies!

Oh I see so the 1.6 TDi wasn't until quite late which would be out of my budget.

Hmm... Thanks for your help, I guess I might have to keep dreaming!

id go older tbh.
find a "afn" b5 a4. one in good nick around £1000. even one with 150k on it. the idea being it has already depreciated as much as it is ever going to reguardless of how many miles you add to it.

Get a 2.0 tdi a3, last year I bought one for £6000, 60k miles, fsh, loads of extras etc. Put a dtuk box on it and on long journeys I sometimes even saw 60 mpg, theres lots of them in your budget, and I got insured on mine at 19 so you shouldnt have a problems. Its the only option in my opinion.

Or, you could convert a 3.2 to lpg, only 25 mpg (ish) but half the price of petrol, and unrivaled performance for insurance group 32 or below, again im 20 and I can get insured for roughly 1700 a year.

Liam.

Get a 2.0 tdi a3, last year I bought one for £6000, 60k miles, fsh, loads of extras etc. Put a dtuk box on it and on long journeys I sometimes even saw 60 mpg, theres lots of them in your budget, and I got insured on mine at 19 so you shouldnt have a problems. Its the only option in my opinion.

Or, you could convert a 3.2 to lpg, only 25 mpg (ish) but half the price of petrol, and unrivaled performance for insurance group 32 or below, again im 20 and I can get insured for roughly 1700 a year.

Liam.

Thanks for your reply!

After some more research a 2006 era A3 2.0 TDi only puts my insurance up by around £100, strangely though a 1.9 TDi puts it up £120, I will need to have a look in detail but this does look promising! In terms of trim, which is the one I should be going for in terms of extras? The Sport does look better than the SE or from what I have seen, but I am more interested in equipment really!

I am also interested in this DTUK box, could you explain what it is, how much etc! 60mpg from an A3 would be ideal!

I have been looking at A2 1.4 TDI as they seem to be getting 70+mpg and can be had for around £4,000. Like I said I am not a fan of the styling but if an Audi is actually going to save me money then I am up for that!

Thanks for your reply!

After some more research a 2006 era A3 2.0 TDi only puts my insurance up by around £100, strangely though a 1.9 TDi puts it up £120, I will need to have a look in detail but this does look promising! In terms of trim, which is the one I should be going for in terms of extras? The Sport does look better than the SE or from what I have seen, but I am more interested in equipment really!

I am also interested in this DTUK box, could you explain what it is, how much etc! 60mpg from an A3 would be ideal!

I have been looking at A2 1.4 TDI as they seem to be getting 70+mpg and can be had for around £4,000. Like I said I am not a fan of the styling but if an Audi is actually going to save me money then I am up for that!

Hi

my advice would be to keep away from the 1.6TDI even if you had all the money in china as its not a nice engine.

Regarding tuning the 1.9 or 2.0TDI then we can supply a plug and play system which connects to the main injection system and on average increases the power output by approx 40bhp.

rrp is £389.00, but members of ASN can save £80.00 off this price :)

So £309 inc vat will give you an extra 40bhp and improve your fuel economy too.

Hi

my advice would be to keep away from the 1.6TDI even if you had all the money in china as its not a nice engine.

Regarding tuning the 1.9 or 2.0TDI then we can supply a plug and play system which connects to the main injection system and on average increases the power output by approx 40bhp.

rrp is £389.00, but members of ASN can save £80.00 off this price :)

So £309 inc vat will give you an extra 40bhp and improve your fuel economy too.

Thanks for your reply!

This sounds really interesting, would this effect my insurance at all?

MPG wise what could I expect from the 1.9 or 2.0 TDI?

Thanks again!

dont see why you got any need to map or fit a tuning box to a 1.9/2.0 tdi when after all your coming from a 1.4 hdi 207..... the idea is cheap motoring aint it..... so the 1.9 or a 2.0 tdi should be a good purchase maybe a little less mpg than the 207 but lots better build quality than a french car and far better driving... your going to see a good 50mpg all day long on the commute run you say you do