Trackday insurance - anyone used MORIS?

BigBird

Lost in music...
Reaction score
Morning all, :hi:

As per the title really - I'm doing a couple of trackdays soon & been thinking about maybe taking out trackday insurance. Most want £130 - 150 per day, often with an XS of a few £ks, which put me off.

I was told by my insurance broker to try MORIS and they've come back with £131 all in for both days with a £1.5k XS (plus £125 fee if I have to claim). It only covers bodywork, excluding any damage to engine, drivetrain etc, which puts me off a bit. Is that a std clause for trackday insurance?

Anyone used them? Price seems cheap, but if the cover is poor, I guess as ever you get what you pay for.

Thoughts please...

I'm insured with Greenlight and they insure me for any UK track except Castle Coombe (too many crashes happen there) for £50 a day which I think is a great deal. Not sure what Greenlights rates are for people that aren't insured with them normally though. Might be worth a go.

I'm insured with Greenlight and they insure me for any UK track except Castle Coombe (too many crashes happen there) for £50 a day which I think is a great deal. Not sure what Greenlights rates are for people that aren't insured with them normally though. Might be worth a go.

Cheers for that. I'm with Greenlight too, but was quoted much more for my trackdays when I asked, hence checking with MORIS.

Does the Greenlight trackday policy cover more than just bodywork? I'm trying to see if the cheap insurance I've been quoted is cheap because there's not much cover or whether it's std for trackday insurance not to cover anything else.

I often do wonder why people bother with trackday insurance? If there's a quicker car behind you, just let him pass, if you don't have the power to pass the car in front, stay behind, or better still, slow down to build a gap then hunt them down again. It's not a race!

I often do wonder why people bother with trackday insurance? If there's a quicker car behind you, just let him pass, if you don't have the power to pass the car in front, stay behind, or better still, slow down to build a gap then hunt them down again. It's not a race!

Joe it's not that easy. You get a lot of people who compete professionally turn up to track days for practice or to fine tune their cars. At bedford there was a guy in a Clio cup car with sequencial box, racing slicks, the lot. These are the people you have to worry about.

There was also a guy in an Elise who span 180 on a bend just as I came round it. Luckily I swerved him but that could have ended in tears.

Track day insurance just gives you that extra peace of mind, especially for £50.

Joe it's not that easy. You get a lot of people who compete professionally turn up to track days for practice or to fine tune their cars. At bedford there was a guy in a Clio cup car with sequencial box, racing slicks, the lot. These are the people you have to worry about.

There was also a guy in an Elise who span 180 on a bend just as I came round it. Luckily I swerved him but that could have ended in tears.

Track day insurance just gives you that extra peace of mind, especially for £50.

Maybe it's just me then, I've generally stayed out of harms way.

Maybe I attract it :think:

I had the elise spin right in front of me, a GT3 go off and on the grass behind me then I did this:

Yes Neil, but you followed at a good distance to allow you to avoid him, I've seen cars spin in front of me, I've span my S3 once braking into the hairpin at Bedford Autodrome. Tracks have enough runoff and space for you to make mistakes. If you make the mistake of racing other drivers on a trackday, then yes, maybe insurance is a good idea. But I tend to try and learn what my car can do, and follow cars in front at a similar distance like in your video, or make a pass along a straight where it's safe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have heard it is best to avoid this co. The website has been up and down for about a year and when you called up they said that it was web developments but my mate heard that the insurance co pulled out. Gave up calling last year when they didn't answer the phone or return messages and then it seemed to go to a call centre - the girl didn't know anything about trackdays. Have heard of a couple of guys not getting their claims paid and what is with a fee if you make a claim? Isn't that the point of an excess?