JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By murran

Thread: high milers, would you ?

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Question high milers, would you ?

a mate is looking at buying a car that has 250k on the clocks, its service history is amazing as its been an air port runner for a high end customers, the engine was swapped over at 200k for another engine that had done 60k, the car is amazing condition and has full main dealer service and so many receipts, its priced just a bit lower than the same type of car, but he is not sure as he is thinking of the resale issues and if it ever gets banged and written off, what will the insurance company's value it as?

your views please guys?
    Last edited by Turkster; 23rd January 2012 at 00:48.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi A3

Status
    From my personal view i would say don't bother. The more miles the more stuff that will start going through wear and tear. Also your correct when you say if anything ever happeneds what will the insurance do, with that sort of milage they will most likely just write it off as it wouldn't be worth there time.

Car could be cheap with all them miles but in the long run might not be worth it
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI - S3 Intercooler - Darkside Developments Hard Pipe Boost Kit - EGR Delete - Milltek Non-Res Decat Exhaust System - Performance -Torque Custom Remap 187BHP + 335lb/ft

6th Gear

Status
    What make it is ? Having a replacement engine at 200k does not say much about the way it's been cared for as many modern engines will pass that without serious engine work !
    I own high milers and the general consensus is that it's not worth-it but- on the other hand- my 200k cars drive better than many similar models with less than half the mieage. They are just machines, how long is a piece of string ? Spend enough money and you'll keep them on the road forever...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Status
    its a Merc E class, the engine was changed as the cam belt snapped and there was a car that was smashed up that was a right off so why waste a perfect engine, they pulled it out and sent the bad engine to the scrap yard in the smashed car with the insurance company,

colicabcadam
    IMO if the cambelt snapped that's some evidence to support it was not maintained, but it could have just snapped anyway, who knows

when i went to morroco, there were 25 year old diesel mercs with way over 800k miles, one had gone round the clocks !!!!

it really depends what you are buying it for i suppose !

2nd Gear

Status
    I was in a [vauxhall] taxi this morning with 525k km on it and the engine was as sweet as a nut but the rest of the suspension sounded like it was knackered...
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

Status
    the belt jumped a tooth and caused the belt to go, the Mercedes service history file is epik,

S3 Drift King!

Status
    To be honest, if it drives tight, as in no knocks, and engine runs great, it should be a sound purchase if the price is right! My B5 Passat TDI is on 188k miles and feels like it will do another 100k easily. Just remember the Shell has covered 250k miles, so check brakes and bodywork.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd Gear

Status
    If it's cheap enough then it's worth taking a chance. Are Mercs still rustbuckets or have they sorted all that out now?

6th Gear

Status
    cars are just machines. you replace the components as they wear then it will run indefinatly (assuming no rust).

if the history is there and more or less complete, then buy it.
    only a fool is put off by mileage.

if you ever have any problems with insurance then fax them the history. you could plausibily argue its in better condition than a car with average mileage!
    PDaddy likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Mercedes are chain driven ! If the chain got slack that's a sure sign that the oilo was left unchanged for ages hence the chain stretching without propper lubrication !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    I got my TDI wihth 178k on the clock decent, comprehensive history and good condition.

It drives well, but things like bushes and CV boots need replacing more often as some hadn't ever been done. Clutch is another thing but mine is fine even with a launch now and again.

If it's a decent deal and the condition and history are good then why not?
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDIQ View Post
    I got my TDI wihth 178k on the clock decent, comprehensive history and good condition.

It drives well, but things like bushes and CV boots need replacing more often as some hadn't ever been done. Clutch is another thing but mine is fine even with a launch now and again.

If it's a decent deal and the condition and history are good then why not?
    Off topic, but are you still on your original clutch and if so what mileage are you on now?

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3tdi2001 View Post
    Off topic, but are you still on your original clutch and if so what mileage are you on now?
    188k and yes as far as I know it's the original clutch, the last few K have been with a map too, though the torque was limited to prolong the life of the clutch.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

2nd Gear

Status
    That's good going. I'm still bedding my one in then at 148k

Status
    my clutch was changed at 177k and it was not really needed to be done, the DMFW went so it was a job that was done whilst it was all exposed.