high milers, would you ?

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
a mate is looking at buying a car that has 250k on the clocks, its service history is amazing as its been an air port runner for a high end customers, the engine was swapped over at 200k for another engine that had done 60k, the car is amazing condition and has full main dealer service and so many receipts, its priced just a bit lower than the same type of car, but he is not sure as he is thinking of the resale issues and if it ever gets banged and written off, what will the insurance company's value it as?

your views please guys?

Last edited:
From my personal view i would say don't bother. The more miles the more stuff that will start going through wear and tear. Also your correct when you say if anything ever happeneds what will the insurance do, with that sort of milage they will most likely just write it off as it wouldn't be worth there time.

Car could be cheap with all them miles but in the long run might not be worth it

What make it is ? Having a replacement engine at 200k does not say much about the way it's been cared for as many modern engines will pass that without serious engine work !
I own high milers and the general consensus is that it's not worth-it but- on the other hand- my 200k cars drive better than many similar models with less than half the mieage. They are just machines, how long is a piece of string ? Spend enough money and you'll keep them on the road forever...

its a Merc E class, the engine was changed as the cam belt snapped and there was a car that was smashed up that was a right off so why waste a perfect engine, they pulled it out and sent the bad engine to the scrap yard in the smashed car with the insurance company,

IMO if the cambelt snapped that's some evidence to support it was not maintained, but it could have just snapped anyway, who knows

when i went to morroco, there were 25 year old diesel mercs with way over 800k miles, one had gone round the clocks !!!!

it really depends what you are buying it for i suppose !

I was in a [vauxhall] taxi this morning with 525k km on it and the engine was as sweet as a nut but the rest of the suspension sounded like it was knackered...

To be honest, if it drives tight, as in no knocks, and engine runs great, it should be a sound purchase if the price is right! My B5 Passat TDI is on 188k miles and feels like it will do another 100k easily. Just remember the Shell has covered 250k miles, so check brakes and bodywork.

If it's cheap enough then it's worth taking a chance. Are Mercs still rustbuckets or have they sorted all that out now?

cars are just machines. you replace the components as they wear then it will run indefinatly (assuming no rust).

if the history is there and more or less complete, then buy it.
only a fool is put off by mileage.

if you ever have any problems with insurance then fax them the history. you could plausibily argue its in better condition than a car with average mileage!

Reactions: PDaddy
Mercedes are chain driven ! If the chain got slack that's a sure sign that the oilo was left unchanged for ages hence the chain stretching without propper lubrication !

I got my TDI wihth 178k on the clock decent, comprehensive history and good condition.

It drives well, but things like bushes and CV boots need replacing more often as some hadn't ever been done. Clutch is another thing but mine is fine even with a launch now and again.

If it's a decent deal and the condition and history are good then why not?

I got my TDI wihth 178k on the clock decent, comprehensive history and good condition.

It drives well, but things like bushes and CV boots need replacing more often as some hadn't ever been done. Clutch is another thing but mine is fine even with a launch now and again.

If it's a decent deal and the condition and history are good then why not?

Off topic, but are you still on your original clutch and if so what mileage are you on now?

Off topic, but are you still on your original clutch and if so what mileage are you on now?
188k and yes as far as I know it's the original clutch, the last few K have been with a map too, though the torque was limited to prolong the life of the clutch.

That's good going. I'm still bedding my one in then at 148k:)