VAG Multitronic Gearbox

noelb

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm tempted by a 2009 58 plate A4 Avant 2.7 TDI multitronic. The only problem is that there are threads all over the net explaining the nightmare that these boxes have caused. They've now scared me witless about whether I buy or not.

So my question is this. Most of the threads have been about early build examples, before the 7 plate clutch was introduced in 2008. So, does the 7 plate box suffer the same as the 6 plate or is this gearbox now much improved? I appreciate it may be too early too tell but I'm really interested to know if anyone has seen the same problems with the revised box?

I spoke to the guys at Inde-Tech for some advice and they were really helpful advising that it was perhaps to early to tell. Can anyone else offer any advice or guidance.

Thanks in advance

I will keep away from multi tronic gear box in the future- currently having nightmares with one!

Nazzy, thanks for the response.
The more I hear, the more I fear! I hope you manage to get yours sorted and not for too much expense.

Not related to the gearbox, but I've heard that the 3.0TDI is a much better engine than the 2.7.

Perhaps something else to consider.