Speed Bumps.

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Chatting to a lad out side the office this morning about speed bumps and cars.
He said the best way to take them is to alternate the which wheel goes over the top of it cause straddling them puts pressure on the tracking and will effect tyre ware.
I was all ways thought the best way to take them was to straddle them, one wheel both sides of the speed bump as this saved ware on the shocks and bushes.

just wondering what you lot thought was the best way to go over speed bumps or the least damaging way?

Ey? I always take them diagonally for comfort. I doubt speed bumps do any harm to you suspension, its all built to take a little abuse

about 70 mph straight on usually works for me!!!

only joking.

brake upto the bump but not over it is my two pence worth

all the best

jon

I used to straddle speed bumps but now I have to go over them with either both driver's or passenger side wheels. Nothing to do with tracking etc, it's because I'm lowered and have smashed the crap out of my engine guard/sump/exhaust more times than I'm comfortable with.

The best way to go over speed bumps is to go over them SLOOOOOOWLY! Worst thing you can do is to brake into a speed bump, with all the weight transferred to the front end, you tend to hit it quite hard! So I either coast over them or with a bit of throttle seems to ride it out a bit more. Really don't understand the logic of going over them at an angle, unless your car has clearance issues going over them. I use to have a mate with an Alfa who use to steer the car just before hitting the bump, and the same thing on exit... comfortable it was not!

Or just pick a different route to avoid them altogether. :)

Speed bumps do my head in!!
Lol I've got to slow right down for them in my mk4 Golf (5-10mph) & then my mud flaps still rump them lol!

A few yrs back I had a B5 Passat Estate, going into a muti car park I got stuck on a speed bump & I was rocking (lol that's no lie!) i had people push down on the front end so I could get grip & pull off!

So after that I always went at them on an angle & very slow lol

Pat

A few yrs back I had a B5 Passat Estate, going into a muti car park I got stuck on a speed bump & I was rocking (lol that's no lie!) i had people push down on the front end so I could get grip & pull off!

Lucky my B5 estate is only lowered 30mm, I nearly got stuck in a multi storey once fully loaded up though with 4 passengers, it scraped going between levels! lol

I didn't & don't even try to go between levels lol the things we do a!

Pat

Speed bumps do my tits in. They slow down the wrong vehicles. Cars that can brake effectively are brought to a crawl and suffer alignment being knocked out and increased wear to tyres, whilst stuff like laden vans that stop like an oil tanker are totally unhindered in their progress.

It's this PC "all speed is evil" **** that is rammed down the nations throats that some mugs will buy into and protest about to get the lumps and bumps in their road as they would rather do that than acknowledge they are **** parents and let their kids run into the road. When I was growing up my parents taught me roads were dangerous and not to play anywhere near them, must have worked as I've made it to 35 without being run over

Had a story in a local paper to me, a woman was moanin that a car almost hit her 4 year old that was playing out the front of their home. Erm... the houses have large gardens so why the Hell was the child playing out the front buy the road in the first place. It's far easier to dump blame elsewhere than admit fault.

Rant over

Last edited:
Reactions: TeKnodriver
buy a landrover and drive over them at 40mph.

lowered car ftw.

a dead stop and crawl over them. always get a nice long tail back when taking the road round my way which has speed bumps for about 1/2 mile