JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gary3306
  • 1 Post By Paullie

Thread: Is auto levelling required for MOT??

1st Gear

Status

Is auto levelling required for MOT??

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one (hopefully!)

I heard some rumors the MOT has changed R.E xenons to tighten up on after market kits.

N/S auto levelling motor recently packed up on my S3 so I disconnected the levelling and adjusted manually, it is in for a Pre-mot on Thursday, if it's required i'll get it sorted, if it's not, it can wait until the new year!

So is auto levelling required now?

Thanks Chris

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    No, it's not a failure as yet mate. As long as when the vehicle goes onto the beam setter the image is as required, then it's a pass so you can relax and keep your pennies for christmas presents for your lass
    chris-edin likes this.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Banana Menace!

Status
    Hi Chris, I believe the new MOT regulations regarding HID's/Xenons comes into force at the start of January 2012, so as your MOT is due before then you might be able to scrape it through without the auto levelling up and running. A lot will depend on the individual tester, but because the stricter regs haven't started yet, you may be lucky. Hope you are as it will mean that you could take your time and get the levelling fixed x
    chris-edin likes this.
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers guys,

Your spot on! Just had a route around there and found the self levelling and cleaning of headlights with Xenons is a change being brought in in 2012.

Should have done that first!

Want it working again but cant have it eating into the crimbo pressie budget, presents would suffer before the petrol and beer budgets!!

Will be tight right enough! MOT is due Mid december but getting it done this month before any bad weather and tax is out next month, happy days :S
    Last edited by chris-edin; 22nd November 2011 at 10:41.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paullie View Post
    ........ A lot will depend on the individual tester, but because the stricter regs haven't started yet, you may be lucky.........
    I find a lot of people believe that it is up to the tester whether an item fails or not. It isn't, its up to the testers manual whether it fails or not. If it isn't a reason for failure or even a testable item in the manual, then it will pass. For example, on checking the windscreen,nowhere in the 'Reasons for rejection' column is there 'missing'. So quite simply if you take your car for an MOT without a windscreen, it will pass. The tester however should advise on it and classify it as dangerous (The MOT test is an arse basically). The regulations for xenons and associated systems aren't in force yet, so he can't even apply any testable criteria at present let alone fail it. A good tester would advise on any fault they find on a vehicle outside of the testable items though.

Having been an MOT tester for many years and also a Police Officer, I can tell you that the disparity between the MOT test and vehicle construction and use regs is mindboggling. Its time the two went hand in hand. You drive out the test centre with your nice crisp new MOT pass cert without a windscreen, and you'll get 20 yds before plod pulls you and does you for your vehicle being in a dangerous condition. CRAZY!!
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

1st Gear

Status
    That is bonkers.

The windscreen is an extreme example but makes the point well.

Don't get me wrong if it was somthing safety critical it would be in the garage 5 minutes ago but as I only ever carry a passenger and a couple cases in the boot levelled manually should be fine for a bit, I'll hang fire as I don't think it's a cheap fix