Is auto levelling required for MOT??

chris-edin

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just a quick one (hopefully!)

I heard some rumors the MOT has changed R.E xenons to tighten up on after market kits.

N/S auto levelling motor recently packed up on my S3 so I disconnected the levelling and adjusted manually, it is in for a Pre-mot on Thursday, if it's required i'll get it sorted, if it's not, it can wait until the new year!

So is auto levelling required now?

Thanks Chris

No, it's not a failure as yet mate. As long as when the vehicle goes onto the beam setter the image is as required, then it's a pass so you can relax and keep your pennies for christmas presents for your lass :)

Reactions: chris-edin
Hi Chris, I believe the new MOT regulations regarding HID's/Xenons comes into force at the start of January 2012, so as your MOT is due before then you might be able to scrape it through without the auto levelling up and running. A lot will depend on the individual tester, but because the stricter regs haven't started yet, you may be lucky. Hope you are as it will mean that you could take your time and get the levelling fixed :wub: x

Reactions: chris-edin
Cheers guys,

Your spot on! Just had a route around there and found the self levelling and cleaning of headlights with Xenons is a change being brought in in 2012.

Should have done that first!

Want it working again but cant have it eating into the crimbo pressie budget, presents would suffer before the petrol and beer budgets!! :)

Will be tight right enough! MOT is due Mid december but getting it done this month before any bad weather and tax is out next month, happy days :S

Last edited:
........ A lot will depend on the individual tester, but because the stricter regs haven't started yet, you may be lucky.........

I find a lot of people believe that it is up to the tester whether an item fails or not. It isn't, its up to the testers manual whether it fails or not. If it isn't a reason for failure or even a testable item in the manual, then it will pass. For example, on checking the windscreen,nowhere in the 'Reasons for rejection' column is there 'missing'. So quite simply if you take your car for an MOT without a windscreen, it will pass. The tester however should advise on it and classify it as dangerous (The MOT test is an **** basically). The regulations for xenons and associated systems aren't in force yet, so he can't even apply any testable criteria at present let alone fail it. A good tester would advise on any fault they find on a vehicle outside of the testable items though.

Having been an MOT tester for many years and also a Police Officer, I can tell you that the disparity between the MOT test and vehicle construction and use regs is mindboggling. Its time the two went hand in hand. You drive out the test centre with your nice crisp new MOT pass cert without a windscreen, and you'll get 20 yds before plod pulls you and does you for your vehicle being in a dangerous condition. CRAZY!!

That is bonkers.

The windscreen is an extreme example but makes the point well.

Don't get me wrong if it was somthing safety critical it would be in the garage 5 minutes ago but as I only ever carry a passenger and a couple cases in the boot levelled manually should be fine for a bit, I'll hang fire as I don't think it's a cheap fix :(