Shark Fins

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
A general couple of questions out to everyone really.

I lost my aerial couple of weeks and thought I might as well go with a shark fin that i've been thinking about but a bin unsure on a few things.

First, which shape is the correct OEM audi shape? There is a couple of after market ones but they seem a bit big or don't look right.

Secondly, I don't have satnav, dab or any thing digital like that, so I assume just a normal shark fin aerial that has the normal connection will be fine for my A4 B5?

I don't need to spend any more money, but I'll probably take a passing interest in this thread anyway, as the Shark fin looked nice on that Baby Blue S3 at ADI

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

Save this one. I'll have to think of another design ;)

Hmm...I don't think i've got anything better to do this afternoon, so it's either design a new avatar or go outside and start clubbing the students that are shouting and whinging outside the office...student beatings anyone?

Aren't the Audi ones only compatible with GPS aerials?

Thats my understanding.
Hence the look for after market ones that look OEM.

I dont think Damo has sat nav or any fancy kit in his S3 though.
I'm not sure what one Damo has or if its wired in correctly.
I think they are about £60 from Audi.

I just seem to recall Nige saying once that the OEM Audi sharkfins were only for GPS, Aux Heater sensor and GSM and that the external FM antenna was in the rear window. I could be wrong, or that could have been specific to the 8P maybe as it was last year sometime at least.

I'm not paying £60!
Hence me wanting after market ones which is about £20tops.

I just seem to recall Nige saying once that the OEM Audi sharkfins were only for GPS, Aux Heater sensor and GSM and that the external FM antenna was in the rear window. I could be wrong, or that could have been specific to the 8P maybe as it was last year sometime at least.
Thats my thinking, thats what I'm asking. :)

Good work mate.

£30 for that unit and some cutting about.

I guess i'm being a bit picky with what i'm after.
Something about £20 with no cutting about required.

I guess part of it is paranoia, since it covers a hole directly into the car. I don't want to have to cut it about for it to work cause there is that chance of it leaking.

I'm looking for one I found that looked OEM ish and was a simple bolt in job but I can't find it.

Also, I wonder what connector we have in to the aerial and it is ampped?
WIll that effect any after market item?