Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 66 of 66

Thread: Shark Fins

  1. #41
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I do belive that it will be halv the rear trim off to be able to peel back the roof lining.
    The rear boot light is right below aerial but I can't see any screw or any thing just a PCB.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    23
    Apparently you have to remove the rear passenger roof light and the aerial base securing nut is underneath.

    Im guessing you unscrew and it will release. Not tried myself though

  4. #43
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    Did you get this done then scott o just give up? Haven't you got a Haynes manual for the herse?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  5. #44
    Reesy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Did you get this done then scott o just give up? Haven't you got a Haynes manual for the herse?
    Step 1. Open Boot. Step 2.Remove coffin from boot before starting for extra room.


  6. #45
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    Haha. Surely a herse wouldn't have a radio so wouldn't need an ariel! It's a bit indecent to be rocking out while transporting the dead.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  7. #46
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Did you get this done then scott o just give up? Haven't you got a Haynes manual for the herse?
    Not done it yet mate.
    I called out to help a friend with his car.
    He hit a matress on the way home yesterday, he wanted an assessment on the damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Step 1. Open Boot. Step 2.Remove coffin from boot before starting for extra room.
    Shut it yut!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Haha. Surely a herse wouldn't have a radio so wouldn't need an ariel! It's a bit indecent to be rocking out while transporting the dead.
    A perfectly honest, wanting to be help, useful thread and has been screwed by Tweedledee and Tweedledum?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  8. #47
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    Tweedledee started it!

    I'm waiting on you before I possible purchase one of these shark fins.

    Can you do a before and after radio reception assessment please. I always listen to the radio and the reception is a bit gash round here so it would be nice to know.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  9. #48
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Tweedledee started it!

    I'm waiting on you before I possible purchase one of these shark fins.

    Can you do a before and after radio reception assessment please. I always listen to the radio and the reception is a bit gash round here so it would be nice to know.
    I've not listened to the radio since christ moyles took over the breakfast show. lol

    But I'll give it ago mate.
    Any station?

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  10. #49
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    Just try a few stations and then let me know if the reception is better/worse/same. Cheers
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  11. #50
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Just try a few stations and then let me know if the reception is better/worse/same. Cheers
    Will do buddy.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  12. #51
    Reesy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,604
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b5 View Post
    Not done it yet mate.
    I called out to help a friend with his car.
    He hit a matress on the way home yesterday, he wanted an assessment on the damage.


    Shut it yut!!


    A perfectly honest, wanting to be help, useful thread and has been screwed by Tweedledee and Tweedledum?
    Just caught up on this. I reckon your mate will have bust a spring or two...

    Yut, Jst coz I aint no old man...

    Tweedledee and tweedledum ftw!


  13. #52
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    I bought the above shark fin aerial jobby and this is it fitted to my car.

    Before


    During




    This is the base of the old aerial. No idea what all that is for. Any one know?


    This was not a plug and play job.
    2 things, first I was unable to get the nut on to the new aerial cause there was 4 prong sticking out making it harder to get it on, so I bent theses back and I never liked the idea of the prongs making holes the roof.


    second was the plugs. they the same, so only way to join them was to cut the ends off and solder. I never did this as I was unsure if I liked the aerial, this means i'm also unable to do a signal test.


    Then its a simple screw, clamp it down and make sure the aerial is facing the correct way.



    Here is some pics of it all back together.








    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  14. #53
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    It does look much better mate. shame it's not plug and play.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  15. #54
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    It does look much better mate. shame it's not plug and play.
    Might be different for you A/S3 lot.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  16. #55
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b5 View Post
    Might be different for you A/S3 lot.
    If it isn't do you think it would be easy enough to just cut the old plugs off the old arial and solder them onto the shark fin?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  17. #56
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    If it isn't do you think it would be easy enough to just cut the old plugs off the old arial and solder them onto the shark fin?
    its only 2 cables mate.
    connect the middle core to the middle core and the outer to the outer.
    Solder, tape, heat shrink, twist or what ever you want and job done.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  18. #57
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    after some heavy rain and wind I checked the fin out and no leaks.
    100% dry.
    still not wired it up yet though

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  19. #58
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    I just seem to recall Nige saying once that the OEM Audi sharkfins were only for GPS, Aux Heater sensor and GSM and that the external FM antenna was in the rear window. I could be wrong, or that could have been specific to the 8P maybe as it was last year sometime at least.
    All the sharkfins that I know of dont get used for radio antenna's & this is going back a while now, at least until 03 on the 8P alone, as the antennas for radio have all been in the windows & bootlid, same as my S4 B6 was which was also 2003.

    Quote Originally Posted by scott b5 View Post
    This is the base of the old aerial. No idea what all that is for. Any one know?






    The pcb base you can see of original antenna is all part of that era antenna system, my S3 8L had the exact same pcb & when disconnected it gave me such a crap reception, so returned to as was when I was testing some crappy sharkfin way back lol, learnt the hard way.

    The sharkfin you've fitted looks older tbh against the ones of today, trying to think which car its from as I do recall the style.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  20. #59
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    pcb base you can see of original antenna is all part of that era antenna system, my S3 8L had the exact same pcb & when disconnected it gave me such a crap reception, so returned to as was when I was testing some crappy sharkfin way back lol, learnt the hard way.

    The sharkfin you've fitted looks older tbh against the ones of today, trying to think which car its from as I do recall the style.
    I've not wired the new sharkfin up and I'm still getting a good reception for Radio 2, can't get any other station though. Lol
    I'll wire it up this weekend and see if it changes.
    going by the ebay advert its from a polo or a mk4 golf I think.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  21. #60
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Yeah its does actually look like a VW fin tbh, thats why it looks familiar

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  22. #61
    FactionOne's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,059
    The PCB is basically an amplifier (and to some extent, filter).

    There's 12V phantom-power on the RF line from the OEM head-unit, which goes to feed that PCB. As you'll probably know, when you fit an aftermarket headunit you have to buy an adapter to take power from the ISO block (intended for motorised aerials or amplifier relay) to power the aerial-amplifier, otherwise you get woeful reception. It basically all works in a very similar way to phantom-powered microphones, and somewhat stretching the comparison, powerline/homeplug ethernet.

    I guess if the shark-fin was designed as a passive antenna, it should get decent reception without the amp; if on the other hand it was designed as the passive part of an active system, it might not be so hot. The quality of the tuner in your head unit will make a difference too, although not massive.

    At the moment I'm expecting my next car to be a B6 with the AM/FM antenna being in the back window; I'll likely be adding a shark-fin to it though, as I've a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB-54 head unit, and short of adding a glass-mounted [read: ugly and poor performing] DAB aerial, I think it'll be my only option.

    //R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

  23. #62
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    when I replaced my head unit I don't think I wired that up.
    Not that i'm bothered, I hardly ever use the radio.

    A B6?
    What you doing to do with your B5?
    Can I have some bits off it please? :D

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  24. #63
    FactionOne's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,059
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b5 View Post
    A B6?
    What you doing to do with your B5?
    Can I have some bits off it please? :D
    Don't wish to hi-jack the thread, but yeah, I'm planning a return to oil-burning - most likely in a B6 1.9 TDI Quattro or if I'm feeling particularly flush (/find myself powerless to resist), a B7 TDI Quattro of one sort or the other.

    As for bits off the B5, almost certainly. Trading it in isn't even on the radar, so I'm planning to either sell (very) cheaply as a lump of parts, or strip whatever people want and weigh the rest in. I can't guarantee whatever you might want a) is in good nick b) works at all c) hasn't fallen off, though.

    Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

  25. #64
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    This thread is kind of dead. so less jack this fool!!

    I'm after a load cover.
    There is a couple of the B5 lads thats after some facelift parts and knowing aragorn he's possible want something for his £999 racer car.
    what colour is the interior?

    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne View Post
    Don't wish to hi-jack the thread, but yeah, I'm planning a return to oil-burning - most likely in a B6 1.9 TDI Quattro or if I'm feeling particularly flush (/find myself powerless to resist), a B7 TDI Quattro of one sort or the other.

    As for bits off the B5, almost certainly. Trading it in isn't even on the radar, so I'm planning to either sell (very) cheaply as a lump of parts, or strip whatever people want and weigh the rest in. I can't guarantee whatever you might want a) is in good nick b) works at all c) hasn't fallen off, though.

    Rob.
    Last edited by ScottD3; 30th November 2011 at 14:22.

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

  26. #65
    FactionOne's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,059
    Of course it might be that someone wants to take the whole lot off me, and do the jobs it'd need to keep it on the road - not all that much in reality, particularly for a proper spanner-enthusiast, but it's more than I want to get involved with, and I need better economy as I'm back to doing between 1500 and 2000 miles per month again soon, but if not the most likely will strip & weigh-in. If it goes that way I'll put your name down for the load-cover. It'll be £12000 + delivery

    As for the interior, it's the 'usual'(?) TQS half-leather set-up. Black leather bits and black cloth with blue diagonal stripes. I'll be honest though, it was pretty tired when I bought the car, and hasn't exactly got any better. Again, if I do end-up stripping it, I'll do some photies for you.

    //R
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

  27. #66
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    15,018
    £20 and a pack of chocolate hobnobs?

    They best be good pictures, I don't want none of this out of focus, high saturation and low contrast images.

    Work out what is best and let me know.
    Wish I had the space cause i'd have it off you and break it.


    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne View Post
    Of course it might be that someone wants to take the whole lot off me, and do the jobs it'd need to keep it on the road - not all that much in reality, particularly for a proper spanner-enthusiast, but it's more than I want to get involved with, and I need better economy as I'm back to doing between 1500 and 2000 miles per month again soon, but if not the most likely will strip & weigh-in. If it goes that way I'll put your name down for the load-cover. It'll be £12000 + delivery

    As for the interior, it's the 'usual'(?) TQS half-leather set-up. Black leather bits and black cloth with blue diagonal stripes. I'll be honest though, it was pretty tired when I bought the car, and hasn't exactly got any better. Again, if I do end-up stripping it, I'll do some photies for you.

    //R

    New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. SHARK REMAP
    By chrisa4quat in forum Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th June 2012, 13:03
  2. S3 Lower door fins / side strips
    By mattyboy199 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd March 2012, 00:04
  3. Bonding S3 door fins to doors?
    By The Doctor in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th October 2011, 22:44
  4. S3 8L door blades / door fins (passenger & driver door)
    By The Doctor in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th October 2011, 12:46
  5. S3 lower door fins
    By northernlights in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th November 2009, 20:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO