EM TuningSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shady-ninja

Thread: Guhh! just been flashed by a static speed camera...

1st Gear

Status

Guhh! just been flashed by a static speed camera...

As above really , It looks like i'll be recieving a ticket through the letterbox in the next week or so.

It will be my first, so can anyone shed some light as to what i should do next ? Do i have any options?

Someone;s mentioned something about a course to me before ?...

Any insight appreciated.

Many thanks , Jon

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Say it wasn't you ¬_¬.

They have to prove it was.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

5th Gear

Status
    That's wot I do I always say it was my uncle driving them give them his address in new York
    It hasn't failed yet

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

1st Gear

Status
    Depends how many mph you were over the speed limit if you get offered the course or not, think its a tolorence of something like 5mph over and you won't be offered the course.

I got 3 points last year and then didn't receive them because I did the course, day off work then had to pay £70 ish to do the course.

I then got 3 more points like a fool 3 week's later!
    Can't do the course again in the period of 3 years I think it is. So I'm still stuck on 3 points at the mo.
    Last edited by gkf9; 4th November 2011 at 06:51.
    2003 - Akoya silver A4 1.9 tdi (100) Sport

Chugger

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AARON77 View Post
    That's wot I do I always say it was my uncle driving them give them his address in new York
    It hasn't failed yet
    Lol! What a Blag.

Your best off taking your punishment, as you were technically breaking the law. I got gunned doing 42 on a road that is stupidly 30mph, the copper was alright and gave me the speed awareness course which I have to do next week, cost £60 in my area but that can vary. Much better than a £80 fine and 3 points.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

4th Gear

Status
    Say it wasnt you.
    Play this track Shaggy - It Wasn't Me - YouTube for inspiration.
    Then say Uncle Ushtanavich from Poland did it.
    liquids3 and lippyrich like this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoi21 View Post
    Do i have any options?
    Yeah, slow down next time :P

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    I got put on a course for doing 37mph in a 30mph. Surprisingly full of old people. I expected loads of young kids in there. Was quite amusing. Wait for the letter, hell it might not even come through. If it does fill it in and wait for another giving you your options. If they give you the course option take it! It costs more than the fine but atleast you dont get points. Problem is if you get caught again you cant do another course for 3 years.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

K4OXE

Status
    you can appeal it at court if you want, i did, but i was doing 94 in a 50 on the a127 that was actually a 70, luckily for me the judge drove that road everyday and agreed with me it was infact a 70 and gave me a 28 day tempory ban :D

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxie View Post
    you can appeal it at court if you want, i did, but i was doing 94 in a 50 on the a127 that was actually a 70, luckily for me the judge drove that road everyday and agreed with me it was infact a 70 and gave me a 28 day tempory ban :D
    Win!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AARON77 View Post
    It hasn't failed yet
    I like that a lot!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    I like that a lot!
    and that used to work
    now they will check if the person named was in the country
    if not ur ****ed
    perverting corse of justice
    and if you carry on saying it wasnt you
    you still get the points as the car is reg in your name

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    and that used to work
    now they will check if the person named was in the country
    if not ur ****ed
    perverting corse of justice
    and if you carry on saying it wasnt you
    you still get the points as the car is reg in your name
    Yeah, the rules suck....
    Homer Simpson

Neutral

Status
    Swindon, Wilts, England, UK, Europe, THE WORLD
    You could always say the Mrs was driving lols

Smell my finger.

Status
    Speed awareness courses are available in a lot of areas but not all!. It also depends on the amount the limit was exceeded by as it has to fall into a bracket to be appropriate. 90 in a 30 will never get you a course but 37 in a 30 might well do depending on if they are used in that area.

Best thing to do is sit and wait it out, they have 14 days to send the docs out to the registered keeper (to send, not to deliver them) so give it a couple of weeks. Some cameras flash and don't record an image FYI.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    do you have to tell insurer?
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

Smell my finger.

Status
    if you get points yes.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Neutral

Status
    Pile of old tyres and loadsa petrol, or expanding builders foam through the little hole.

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    As you are the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle, the owness is on YOU to provide details of the driver at the time of the alleged offence. Failing to do so, or providing false information, then leaves you liable to further prosecution, for different criminal offences. Wait until you recieve the letter, as in a lot of cases, the camera will still activate even if there is no film inisde it. The letter will inform you whether or not you are eligible for the course, as you have to meet certain criteria (pointed out in previous responses), and if you dont, accept what you did, and take the three points and pay the fine!
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Some cameras flash and don't record an image FYI.
    Best way to test this is to hook it round and bury it back though the camera going to opposite way (If it's a Gatso - and on a single carridgeway road). If it flashes, there is no film in it. If not, bugger.
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    I was driving at a steady 45/50 in a 40 limit. in the pissing rain and caught by a new style camera, didnt even see the fker! it was near DW sports in bletchly, aparently its a dummy/trial cam and friends that have been flashed havnt heard anything in months. Fingers crossed for me then :/ ..

Smell my finger.

Status
    Best way to test this is to hook it round and bury it back though the camera going to opposite way (If it's a Gatso - and on a single carridgeway road). If it flashes, there is no film in it. If not, bugger.
    You sure about that Welly?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoi21 View Post
    I was driving at a steady 45/50 in a 40 limit. in the pissing rain and caught by a new style camera, didnt even see the fker! it was near DW sports in bletchly, aparently its a dummy/trial cam and friends that have been flashed havnt heard anything in months. Fingers crossed for me then :/ ..
    That is a bit naughty mate you are 10%+ over the limit that's not good really

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Tyre + a jerry can full of petrol, simples .
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Status
    You sure about that Welly?
    As far as I know mate, that's accurate.

If they are put into 'mimick' mode then thy will flash either direction. If they have film in then they will only flash for speeders going the correct direction of travel.

The Type 24 Gatsos can only take images from the rear, and since the cost of the films is astronomical, they won't waste pictures that they can't do anything with.

Got that info from a Traffic copper many moons ago.
    Homer Simpson

Smell my finger.

Status
    As far as I know mate, that's accurate.

If they are put into 'mimick' mode then thy will flash either direction. If they have film in then they will only flash for speeders going the correct direction of travel.

The Type 24 Gatsos can only take images from the rear, and since the cost of the films is astronomical, they won't waste pictures that they can't do anything with.

Got that info from a Traffic copper many moons ago.
    There's a lot of hype about them

1. GATSO cameras are only Home Office approved for use facing the rear of a vehicle - they are not H.O approved for forward facing work
    2. GATSO cameras flash with film in or without... in any direction
    3. There's no way of knowing if there is film in them until the postman either makes or ruins your day

there's no sport in it at all :D

Status
    Not wishing to argue as you know more about them than me I'm sure, BUT, the one that I regularly ignore flashes me sometimes, and not others when I expect it to flash (If you know what I mean).

I have actually tested it by driving through it over and over again to see if it would, and it simply wouldn't.... It did nick some poor sod going to other way though.
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Here is the answer to the Gatso problem:

Homer Simpson

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Like i said earlier haha.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    dont they have to flash twice?

6th Gear

Status
    lol.got my first this morning through the post.Last sunday on the M1 buckinghamshire 83 in a 70 done by a static on a bridge.Glad i was slowig down for traffic!
    Thames valley offer a drivers course for those doing 35-42 in a 30, 46-53 in a 40, 57-64 in a 50, 68-75 in a 60, and 79-86 in a 70, instead of a fine or points.If the course isnt nearby, ill take the fine
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

3rd Gear

Status
    You cough up for the fine, take the course if it's available in your area (avoids insurance penalties) and thank christ you weren't in the US of A. I got stopped last month doing 71 in a 55: my fine was $522 (£300 ish).
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

6th Gear

Status
    There's a lot of hype about them

1. GATSO cameras are only Home Office approved for use facing the rear of a vehicle - they are not H.O approved for forward facing work
    3. There's no way of knowing if there is film in them until the postman either makes or ruins your day

there's no sport in it at all :D
    1. Correct. Although it's actually Type Approval but close enough.
    2. Wrong, Most cameras are just empty housing with no camera at all. The camera units themselves are too expoensive to have a camera in every GATSO housing. The partnership will move the internal camera gubbins around their various sites. The aim of the radar should prevent photographing oncoming vehicles but on occasions it goes a bit squiff. When the camera runs out of film it will continue to flash just not record images. If the camera is not in the housing neither is the electronics that control the speed detection so it will NOT flash.
    3. Half right. As explained in point 2 if the camera is in the housing it will flash.

Ever wondered why some GATSOs have and additional pole with what looks like a video camera on them? They have been converted to digital and the second post is for a secondary flash which teh digital photography requires.

Saddly I share my office with speed camera people

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    dont they have to flash twice?
    Yes. As they take 2 photos

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Chugger

Status
    I did my course yesterday. Was a laugh as I turned up and one of my colleagues was also there to do the course. It does make you think about your driving style around pedestrians for sure.

Also another intresting fact learnt, was that every road fatality cost the tax payer on average 1.8 million.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Check out http://www.pepipoo.com/

I
    t's a 'fight back forum' for motorists, definately worth a read if you get a ticket through the mail.

Chris