Snow socks...any good?

Reaction score
Has anyone got snow socks and if so are they any good? I have 245x40x18's (FWD) and was wondering whether it was worth getting a pair, since there is threat of snow this winter.

I don't know how good they are i'm afraid, but as a heads up (and I know this sounds odd) but ASDA are selling them for a very good price at the moment, so could be worth a punt if they are cheap enough.

I'm not sure about these! They sound a good idea but quite expensive for the amount of snow we end up getting.

If they're going to get you out of sticky situations for a couple of years, then it maybe worth it. The winter before last we were driving back from South Wales when the snow started and if it wasn't for the narrow tyres of my wifes 306, I think we would have been stuck. My neighbour had the diesel version of the same A4 as me and he was unimpressed by just how bad the it performed in the snow.

I didn't think my Audi did that bad last winter, although I did have to dig it out a couple of times. So I just don't want to get caught out if we have a bad spell this year.

I was in Costco last week and noticed they were selling more of a chain type system, but it was made of a high strength thin string/rope.

I haven't used them myself but have seen them in use.
I work in Milton Keynes and we had some pretty heavy snow up there last year. The carpark behind where i work was covered in about a 1.5ft of snow, and lots of cars got stuck, especailly on the compacted snow at the entrance and exit where it had turned to ice. The only cars that weren't getting stuck where 4wheel drive vehicles like audi qauttro's etc. But i did see a 3 series with snow socks on the back drive wheels driving over the snow and ice in the carpark without any issues and did not get stuck once.
Also see plenty around town on FWD cars aswell driving around as normal. So i would say they are a good idea to keep in the boot and get you out of trouble, and tonnes cheaper than fitting winter wheels and tyres.
Hope this helps