Just bought the missus a new car, opinions please.

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Afternoon all, well after 6 years of us both sharing my old A3 and then the S3 we have decided to get her her own car. So we went out Saturday and bought a 2001 Peugeot 106 quiksilver with FSH, quite a tidy car really, even if it is french lol. She's never had her own insurance policy so insurance group of car was our main factor in buying one. Just wondered if anyones ever owned one or know of any sort of issues with them, fore warned is fore armed and all that.

Cheers, Dave.

What spec? We have had several 205s great little cars

Pretty basic really, leccie windows 1.4L sunroof pas, needs a new boot carpet but just sourced one off of fleabay for £16 delivered, wants a nsf mirror housing but thats about it really. Bodywork wise its in tidy condition with the gti bodykit which i think is standard on them. Drives nice and everything feels like it should, does seem to handle pretty well aswell. I was more concerned about reliability/mechanical issues with them more than anything, noticed a bit of oil under the front tonight so am going to check round the engine and see if i can see where its coming from.

dont know about them, but b4 i got my a4 sport 2 months ago, i had a 206 gti and to be honest i wouldnt buy a french car again, the electrice all went funny, heater and climate control same, just make sure all the electrics r good!

A mate had a 106 Rallye, and it was a great little car...........when it worked!

My advice is enjoy it, but buy a warning triangle a hi-vis jacket and top spec RAC cover.

I've had a few peugeots over the years, they rattle a bit when the miles go up, and bits fall off, but apart from that I've found them very reliable mechanically. 106 very 'chuckable'

I ran a Peugeot 306 for three years and 60k miles and it was amazingly reliable. Puts Audi to shame.

Oil leaks from the cylinder head/ head gaskets, rear wheel cylinders leaking, exhausts snapping due to worn engine stabilisers, ropey electrics, coil packs dying then killing ecu's , as well as the odd driving position but I only ever see the ones that people (frequently) break, so I may be a touch biased !:uhm:

Well you bought it now, so don't worry about what could go wrong with it, just cross that bridge if you come to it.

My wife drives a Peugeot 206, nippy little car, haven't had any issues other than changing bulbs was a nightmare, but £5 to the Halfords man sorts all that out.

Nice cars, not my cup of tea though, but the wife loves them.