Modd'd Car undeclared To The Insurance... Still covered?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Hi,
As the title says...
A few of the younger lads i know have been going on about something they heard a police man say...
Basicaly one of the got pulled over in a car converted from a 1.2 corsa to a 2.0 turbo ( made around 450 bhp )
Anyway... the car is/ was insured as a 1.2 standard car,
Now all though he was pulled over for speeding the police man said even though it came up as a 1.2 on the system the insurance company would still cover it third party if it was involved in a crash?
I was always told, fail to tell the insurance whats been changed and the policy is completely void. 100% invalid and you would get done for no insurance, regardless if your involved in a crash or not??
What is the law on this???

as far as i know its void if you dont declare even wheels
on a previous car i was hit claimed and when bloke came out to check it
he noticed the wheels tints etc
and it was void

I've heard something similar to this before. I think it's right, in that insurance companies are legally bound to cover your third parties losses, and then try to reclaim their costs from you, as you have in effect committed a fraud by obtaining a service by false representation.

I'm far from sure on this though. Maybe a good question for pepipoo.com?

No mod's declared. VOID SIMPLE'S Affraid

Void, you will be liable to pay for the others persons damage too, and as your policy is void you may get done for driving without insurance too.

It should be declared to the DVLA too.

Think of it this way, how likely is the insurance company to say," yeah no probs, don't worry about it", compared to the chances that they will do whatever possible to get out of paying out on a legit claim let alone one that hasn't had the mods declared.

you cant and wont get done for no insurance
as they will only void after the accident

Still a grey area to me,
My cars are declaired , But i do know people with modd'd cars the insurance dont know about.

Void. I work for insurance and the amount of people that dont tell. If its obvious mods then declare!

with a big difference like that it would almost certainly be void, it's probably illegal in more ways than too not declaring it to the dvla, car could most probably be impounded / crushed if they really wanted to

let's say you didn't declare something like a nice set of wheels and an exhaust system and had a crash, would your insurance be void? in a court of law, the insurance company would have to prove that the undeclared elements actually played a part in the crash which providing the exhaust did not provide a power increase and road legal tyres were on the said wheels i would say no, therefore the insurance would be valid, but they would have the right not to pay towards the said wheels and exhaust system, you'd only get a payout based on standard equipment.

all theory of course lol

above post sounds good
but its written in the small print they can and will void and even if it went to court they would win
when you got insured you either said it was modded or wasnt
and points out in the agrement that if you change anything you must tell them
iv had 2 policys void in the the last few years
1 for ecu flash god knows how they got on to that 1
and 1 on the missus car for wheels and spoiler

I've always wondered, what would happen if I put S3 alloys on my TDI Quattro? Seeing they are audi wheels would this need to be declared? I could always say I bought it like it...

Received my traders policy paperwork through yesterday, basically it states that any vehicles in my possession which have been modified will only be covered 3rd party, not fire and theft. Be interesting to know what classes as modified, tree air freshener?