Removing paint and repainting calipers

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
I've got a full set of mk5 golf gti 312 brake calipers, front and rear, to go on my 8P1. They are in standard VW red paint at the moment but some marks in the paint have allowed the elements underneath and the paint could do with being removed. I've used a dremel with wirebrush attachments to do one of the rear calipers but it took a long time. Instead I tried Nitromors on the front caliper carriers (split from the caliper) and tried 3 coats over the space of 1 hour and the paint didn't budge!!!

I don't really want to use anything stronger than Nitromors (if there is anything) but can anyone recommend another paste on product that I could try?

If I can't strip them properly then I think I'll just go down the brush on high temp paint route instead of spraying

Thanks for any help

My guess is they are powder coated and the only quick method or removal would be to shot blast them. Not sure how well paint sticks to powder coat items, but your going to have to ruff up the surface of the powder coat for the paint to have a chance.

Another option would be to get a company to shot blast them and re-powder coat but you would have to remove the seals & pistons