Road Tax Question!

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a car that where the V5 was lost and there was no road tax on the vehicle.
I tried to tax the vehicle but the DVLA said NO, and I would have to wait until the V5 came back which they said is going to be around 4-6 weeks!!!!!!
I am now trying to figure out the best way to drive the car from Northern England to South Wales.
The car has just been MOT'd so I'm not sure if I can use the old 'Driving to the MOT Centre' reason.
Im also wondering if this would effect my insurance?
I dont really wanna have to spend alot of money getting it transported down.

I'm all out of ideas. Can anyone give me some ideas please?

Thanks

Last edited:
V5 should take around 2 weeks, if the car is insured and MOT'd, I guess you could risk driving it, since your roadtax will be dated back to today anyways, when you buy it.

I just don't wanna take the risk nor drive it illegally. I wouldn't want to get pinged by an ANPR Camera and risk having the car impounded!!
Its not the most inconspicuous car!!!!!

I hope the V5 is quick as I sent it away a week ago although the DVLA warned me it would take 4-6 weeks!
The DVLA are just so unhelpful. I want to drive the car legally but they seem to want to prevent me!

Last edited:
So ask the dvla for the V5 document number & then register your tax online as you only need to have that, mot documented which is instant online anyway by test center & insurance database gets updated within a day or 2, can always goto a dvla center & they can do a document for you immediately afaik, which they've done for me before for my cherished, so cant see why they cant do for you for lost V5, as long as you have all your proof etc.

Edit: The turkster got in before me, git :p

Hmmmm that sounds great guys! I just hope the DVLA wont be their usual unhelpfulness!

The thing is I had to apply for a replacement V5 in MY name and not the previous owners! Would that make a difference?

The other thing is, I dont have the car insured yet as I havent paid the full balance of it yet or collected it! Should I try and insure it first thing tomorrow morning or wont this be enough time?

They did initally say that I would have to wait until I received the V5 back, but as you guys have just said, I cant see why it would be a problem!

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Yeah but if he's given new details for new V5 it should goto him now, anyway only 1 way to find out, cant recall if it shows the address of current registered keeper when doing online, a service I've used for few years now, tax disc never arrives 1st time arrgghhh

DO NOT TAX IT ONLINE! if you do it will go to the owner it is registered too, if its not been processed yet.. it will turn up at previous keepers house!

you CAN tax a car at any post office etc using, a valid mot cert, valid insurance cert and the new keepers section of the V5C!

i know this because.. im in the trade, we dont wait for them to come through when we trade a car in..

plus.. i taxed my a3 and my girlfriends fiesta yesterday using green keepers slip :) lol

hope this helps, btw.. for future reference, the ole "on way to mot" trick.. works for mot.. but tax is totally different. it needs tax weather its sitting there doing nothing, driving to mot station or even going to get the tax.

jamie :)

Since the V5 was lost, I dont have the V5C!!!!

From the DVLA page:
You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

Thing is, I have to drive it 230 miles to the MOT station/home!!!!

Last edited:
Well Im going to insure the car at 8am (dont know how long it will take to show up on DVLA checks) then I will attempt to phone DVLA and get the V5 number of them to try and tax the car! But no doubt the DVLA will just be akward then I will just have to book an MOT in my hometown and drive the car back!

ooo sorry, i thought you meant lost in post. insurance is pretty much instant mate.good luck mate

I just hope I will be insured?

I will have to explain to my insurance company if they ask me if I have a valid MOT ot tax that I have to drive it to MOT Centre.

My insurance company said I would be covered but they said it can take up to 2 weeks to show up on DVLA database!!!
They are going to email me a cover note so I can print it out and take it with me!

Or if you have a trader friend maybe they can re tax the car.