Failed M.O.T Craziness

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
On the most ridiculous thing ever!!!
The Magic Tree air freshner hanging from my rear view mirror. OK I can kind of understand the word of the law saying it obstructs the view a bit (although I dont really think it does and nearly everyone has one) BUT to actually issue a fail notice for it was just friggin crazy!! Why not just take the thing down? I just opened the door, and pulled it off and then he had to go print me a pass...I'm still speechless now!

Joker of an MOT tester then, or are they suggesting dangling things from the rear view mirror is now illegal? Nowt to stop you from putting another one up after you got your MOT cert. also....

Thats daft, really daft.

I had a sunstrip on a car a few years back, the MOT tester took it off for me and passed it, didn't bother failing it and waiting for me to get there to take it off.

^^^Few MOT's I've had have beed the same. Such as a broken bulb which they will chnge there and then.

I was actually told by a lad who did my MOT that they can get in more trouble for failing a car unnecessarily rather than passing a car when it shouldn't :)

So yeah your MOT tester is a grade-A **** if you ask me.

Sounds a bit odd! Yes it is against the law to have an obstruction in the drivers view but I think the Magic Tree is a bit of an extreme example especially when you see some muppits driving round with CD's, boxing gloves, shoes, bunches of fruit etc etc hanging from their mirrors and besides, the magic tree was specifically designed to hang from the rear view mirror and NOT obscure the drivers view.......or maybe I made that last bit up

On the most ridiculous thing ever!!!
The Magic Tree air freshner hanging from my rear view mirror. OK I can kind of understand the word of the law saying it obstructs the view a bit (although I dont really think it does and nearly everyone has one) BUT to actually issue a fail notice for it was just friggin crazy!! Why not just take the thing down? I just opened the door, and pulled it off and then he had to go print me a pass...I'm still speechless now!

Didn't you ask him to explain his logic for doing this?

PLEASE go here and see what the failure is down as on your MOT history ----> Motoring : Directgov - MOT history request
I fancy a laugh.

If a ministry bloke is there then fair due but otherwise that's ott

Ok on 1st reading yes its pathetic, cant disagree at all, but expand the view a little more & you may understand the reasoning.

Given they're cracking down on mot testers seriously, they have to follow the letter of the law.

Look at it like this, you may have even been a goverment spy as such, as in checking the mot tester is doing it properly, he doesnt know this.

So in his defence, if it says clearly is there anything obstructing & there is, he has to fail, now if it states they also arent allowed to amend anything on the car whilst testing to make sure it passes, then he's done it correct.

Why would he risk his license because of the customer, sorry but there's always 2 sides of the story however cretin like it seems to us.

In this case it may well be correct & given its his bread & butter, would you risk your job for someone else just to help them out or do as you're supposed to & it wont effect your life overall, sorry but if I have a family to feed, bills to pay etc & its a risk to that part of my life, I wouldnt risk my license because of this given free retest & sorted 10 minutes later huh.

If the government would revoke the tester's MOT license for passing a car with the air freshener on the rear view mirror, or because the tester removed it himself before passing it, this government has far too much time on its hands and not enough brains in their heads.

What next..... failing it because it has a large splodge of bird crap on the windscreen???

Either the guidelines or the tester is mental.

lmao an air freshiner is an mot fail had a stupid on on my first car i took the back seats out and they said it was a fail because i had no rear seat belts i said to the guy there is no rear seats so why would i need rear belts he said incase you put the seats back in i said to him well i will put the seat belts back in also.

and on my last car they tried to fail me car on the hand brake i stoped there and watched them do the handbrake test they didnt even put the hand brake on hardly just half a click i jumped in the car pulled the handbrake on and said try that and guess what it was fine i knew this as i did the cables and rear pads the day before.

every mot station i go i now wait and watch what they are doing to stop them trying to con me

You really just need to find a decent test station, and build up a bit of rep with the guys there.

The guy i use is sound. I wouldnt expect him to pass the car if there was something actually wrong with it, but hes not going to fail it on something stupid like a dodgy bulb either. He'll either just stick another bulb in, or pass it and tell me to get it changed immediately.

Some garages find anything to produce a fail so they can get some work out of it, although an airfreshener is a bit rediculous, they may not be allowed to "alter" the car, but removing the tree hardly counts. EG my guy has to get in, move the seat back, adjust the mirrors then drive the car round the block for a braking test... Surely hes adjusted/altered more bits on the car doing that than removing a magic tree!

Completely agree with NHN, he's not going to risk his licence and lively hood for the sake of one customer. Build a reputation up with an MOT tester and they will let things slip from time to time.

When I had a clio that was lowered on springs my tester said that it should have failed due to there not being enough travel in the rear springs (it was LOWWWW) but he told me that he'd tested it with standard suspension and gave me a wink.

My local place is great with my Sierra,at one point I was turning down the tick over on a carb while the tester watched the emissions fall to the acceptable level, after which I turned it back up again. He just needed to know it could reach the desired level.