Damaged tyre wall (with pics). Need to replace?

kev370

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forums and a search didn't bring anything directly useful so here goes - and apologies if this is posted to the wrong place, a gentle nudge to direct me would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Right, so I only bought the car last week and picked it up yesterday. I took it out today for a little spin and was taking some pictures and noticed that the rear passenger side tyre has some side wall damage.

The wheels were refurbed and powder coated by the dealer I bought it from, my guess is that the damage was caused when the tyre was levered off? It almost looks like a chunk was taken out and glued back on?!

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

They still have a good 5/6mm of tread on them, Michelin PS3s all round so it'd be a shame to have to replace as realistically I'd have to chop all 4.

I don't really know much about tyre construction/damage... any advice would be muchos appreciated.

Do you think it's just superficial damage and will last the next 5-10k miles? (I'm thinking about changing them before winter anyway.) Just a bit paranoid about long journeys, tyre blowouts, bad times etc...

Thanks!

Scares me that you need to ask. If you want to live replace it.

3 points if you get stopped by the trafffic cops with that!

Really? Yikes! Well, it's getting sorted next week and I've got the spare on now. Don't really need to drive it till then either as my feet get me to work just fine.

Thanks folks.