Track toy, which one?

slepy

Extremely smart and handsome person.
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some help with choosing my new track weapon :)
Can't decide if I should go 4wd or rwd.
I was looking at following cars:
- Audi S3 225
- Audi TT 225
- BMW E36 325i coupe or splash out on E36 M3
- Audi A4 B5 1.8TQ.
- Subaru Sti (classic)

I know that there is loads of difference between those 5.
Looking at the S3, it is a bit lighter than a tt but the question is which one could be stripped more?
How will haldex deal with track use?

A4 B5 has advantage of "real" quattro and is one of my most favourite audis but is heavier and will be more difficult(and expensive) to get it to the same power as s3/tt. But I could get one for £1.5k which is easily 2-3 grand cheaper. Any idea what kind of cost would it be to get K04 upgrade for it?

Bmer is similar price as A4 and can be more fun on the track but to get more power from it I would need to get M3 engine inside. I wouldn't really want to buy M3 straight away because if something fails it can be very expensive.

Scoob with high mileage scares me a bit because of expensive engine rebuilds and other parts.

Car will be used on the track only and will not be road legal so basically it will be fully stripped, roll cage, etc.
What are your thoughts on that?

I'd go with a stripped out s3 or m3 depending how you want your power delivered

if only for track use then the e36s are good fun as rear wheel drive, the m3s are getting pretty cheap now but you're right can be expensive if something goes wrong. just gonna put it out there, if you wan't to have cheap track fun then you can't go far wrong with a mk1 mx-5. cheap parts and a whole host of them on mx5parts.com and although not huge power a stripped out 1.8 which has 130bhp standard handles an absolute treat, is easy to drift (if you want that kind of fun) easy and cheap to fix, and are relatively cheap to insure and tax so you could infact run it as a daily in the summer if you wanted. i owned 2 in a row and didn't have any regrets. plus decent examples can be had for around about 1-2k. great fun and ignore the 'hairdresser image' stigma attached to them as anyone who's driven one will tell you how much fun they are! all that said, a stripped out scooby sti can be insanely quick and will grip forever but overall not as rewarding or involving to drive.... just my small insight there! but gotta have fun whatever you choose! what track experience do you have out of interest?

Josh