Selling up, private plate question.

Mick a3

Mellow Yellow
Reaction score
Guy came to view my car tonight, he's happy with it and wants to buy the car. Few questions about putting my plate on retention.

I still have the old plates which were on it before I put my plate on, I'm right in thinking the car will return to this old plate?

I know Il have to visit my local dvla to get the tax and stuff changed but is it going to cost me double to get the plate changed back and my private plate put on retention?

Thanks in advance.

The car might not go to the old plate m8,most do but some are sold off and a new different plate issued ,,should cost £105 to retain your plate and that includes tranfer to your new car theres no extra charge to put the original plate back on its included in the £105

The first year's retention is included in the £105 - each year thereafter will cost you £25.

Forms are available for download from direct.gov.uk - send or take them to DVLA - it can take up to 4 weeks for them to issue the new V5 though - something to be considered when selling the car as it may end up going without a V5, or the sale might need to be delayed. HTH

Thanks guys, so there's not much point of me getting him to sign the new owner tear off on the v5 just now? And is it possible for me to get the v5 sent to the new owners address when visiting the dvla office?

They might allow the new owner's address on the V5 and carry out the amendments at the same time, but to be fair, the experience I've had with my local DVLA office over the last coupla months, I wouldn't trust them with anything more complicated than breathing.....

Damn right, i wouldnt risk it mate.

Get your plates changed and your private reg on retention, then and only then sell your car with its old plate (OR AN ALTERNATIVE).

Make sure you have it confirmed that the plate is on retention and that the old reg is back on the car.

Thanks again folks, Il take a trip to the Darkside on sat, try get it all sorted, if the buyers that keen he'll be happy to wait a few days.

You may have to wait more than a few days mate.

I had to do this when I sold my car a few years ago and it took the DVLA over a week to send out the new documents etc, fortunately my buyer was prepared to wait.

if you go to your local dvla with all the relevant documents, they will do it there and then £105 same day

Won't you still have to wait for the Log book, mot certificate & tax disc to come back with the original reg back on them?

They'll check and take the paperwork and payment, may even issue the new tax disc, but the MOT cert and V5 will be posted "in due course" - and as I said earlier, up to 4 weeks for a V5

Unless of course that just applies to the monkeys in my local office.

they will issue a new tax disc and mot, just have to wait on the v5

Done this myself a few times, selling a car with aprivate plate is a ball ache, i really don't know why i bother. as said £105 sorts it out. But you will have to wait for your V5. They wont change the reg and address at the same time, it baffles them.

V5 can take 4 weeks, normally its only 2 weeks though, so your buyer may have to wait up to 4 weeks (but probably 2)

In the past, i have either got plate off before sale, or at least had it in the process. or with one guy, he was happy to take the car on my private plates, I then supplied him with the old plates (luckily the DVLA put the car back on these) and said i would ring him when he needed to change them over and reminded him to tell the insurance company! I also waited another 2 weeks to sign over the V5, then backdated it and forged his signature.

He was a trusting guy, and I had to trust him. took about 1 month to sort though... Ballache!