IVE RUINED SOMEONES DAY/YEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shanejess

at the trafford centre today on entering the carpark we noticed my old company car by the reg and obviously the car, it was a strange feeling, anyway i followed the guy driving and parked quite close to him, we got out of the car and walked over and looked at the car and explained it used to be mine, he was pleased and started fireing questions at me, if id had the car mapped. to explain, my own winow cleaner crashed in to the side of me 100 yards from home and it was written off winter 2009 like i said it was a company car im a sales rep and the golf had 59,000 miles on the clock it was on an 57 plate. i told him it had been mapped by giac and was serviced at a VW dealer. he told us he had, bought the car in leeds with no service history, he knew it was a written of car but bought it because of the condition and the very low mileage... ooops. my face must have changed and then came the question what mileage did it have when you wrote it off. i told him 59,000 miles, he closed his eyes and opened car door i leaned in and so the mileage, bear in mind hed had the car well over a year. it had 28,000 miles on the clock. hed bought it with 17,000 miles. he was well sick i wish id never seen the car lol. i felt guilty but obviously not my fault. ps the car is a GOLF GTI EDITION 30.

hes gonna hate that car now tut tut
lol

lol, ive had similar. The head gasket blew on my old golf 1.6 CL so i scrapped it as it wasnt worth getting it repaired. A few months later i saw it chavved up in the local Maccy Ds carpark. I parked my car and went over and peered in through the window to check it was my old car it was. So i wandered over to the "restaurant" where the guy was puffed out like a budgie wondering why i was looking into his car. I told him that it used to be mine and that i took it the the scrapyard because of the head gasket, i also asked if the rear window was still broken and about the dent that was in the bonnet which confirmed to him that it used to be my car. Anyway, i saw it a few times after that, the last time i saw it it was parked up in a layby with an AA van. Havent seen it since.

But my gold wasnt worth much, i bet the guy that bought your old car with 17K on the clock cost a bit

I was on site site the other day and a contractor came over and said 'its the purple rocket!!' turns out it was his mates car and with a plate like RTA and in bright purple you can't really miss it! anyway he told me his mate wrote it off after bouncing it off two walls. how true this is i do not know as contractors like to pull the architects legs, but i do not want to find out! good job it was cheap :)

i would have told him to contact the garge you used to service this car as if its a dealer the keep track on milage and then gone back to where he bought the car from and have a word if nothing was done i would report them for doing this .....

in todays market place, car milage should never be taken as truth, even with the service history, that can be faked so easy, I tend to look at the cars condition and have a peek at the service history if there is any, i then tend to make a few calls to main dealers with the car details to see if it pops up on there main frame network for services, they are sure to tell you what they know over the phone,

I once went in 2007 to see a VW Passat TDI sport 52 reg, £4k, the car was mint, never smoked in, all looked great for a car with 49k on the clocks, sevice history was spot on, it had even just had a new cam belt,

2 calls later and id found out that the car has not been in for a service since 2005 and the last recorded mileage was 139k, i of course did not let on that i knew that, but after looking harder at the car i noticed that the bolts that hold the seat in had been taken out at some point as the black spray had been disturbed on all the bolts, basically they had changed the seats for newer ones, gear knob was changed and the steering wheel was just off center,

I called the local police after i had left telling them i was going to the bank to get the money out to buy it, i never returned.................

To be fair, he bought the car knowing it had been written off, and with no service history. You don't buy a car like that without knowing that something might crop up in the future? It's a gamble hence the cheap price.

That's why one owner main dealer cars still in warranty are not cheap.

As a previous post said, he could have spent 10 mins making a few calls to check service history.

To be fair, he bought the car knowing it had been written off, and with no service history. You don't buy a car like that without knowing that something might crop up in the future? It's a gamble hence the cheap price.

That's why one owner main dealer cars still in warranty are not cheap.

As a previous post said, he could have spent 10 mins making a few calls to check service history.
If the mileage isn't recorded then there's jack sh*it you can do, even HPI check wont show the real mileage ! I know enough not to trust mileage as i've seen them beeing rolled even on cars worth 200k ! If it would not be for daft brits looking for "low" mileage cars then there would not be crooks rolling back the odo ! Common folks, this is happening since 1960, the modern cars are just a touch simpler to roll back ! If you look at similar aged BMW/mercs on the market then they have 50-100 k more than "average" mileage audi's ! Wonder why ? It's because beemers and mercs are a tad more difficult to do than audi's ! Best buy a car from a private owner and not dealer as 99% it will be clocked, even vw dealers have it done for them PRIOR getting it on forecourts ! As Turkster said, disregard what's said in the odometer and take a good mechanic to give-it a good once over and road test the car for as long as possible, you will un-earth a lot of faults that way !

Last edited:
sorry but thats a bit of a nob thing to do, should have kept out tbh, imagine if someone did that to you, you would hate the car and want rid straight away

sorry but thats a bit of a nob thing to do, should have kept out tbh, imagine if someone did that to you, you would hate the car and want rid straight away

I don't think it was his intention(the OP) for it to come out, it just happens.... I'm pretty sure if I saw an old car of mine, I'd pop over to the new/current owner to have a few words, it's only natural.

maybe so but you wouldnt say for instance '' oh and thats the wing that reversed into a gate post, and the missus kerbed all the wheels, oh yeah really funny when my kid puked up on the back seat,'' all the points he mentioned were negative, should have just said'' hey i used to own this, loved it and it was quick, enjoy it, see ya''

I'm pretty sure if I saw an old car of mine, I'd pop over to the new/current owner to have a few words, it's only natural.
I would as well. Also, if my car had been clocked, I'd want to know about it even if it did leave me feeling gutted. At least then I could make an informed decision about the future of the car.

maybe so but you wouldnt say for instance '' oh and thats the wing that reversed into a gate post, and the missus kerbed all the wheels, oh yeah really funny when my kid puked up on the back seat,'' all the points he mentioned were negative, should have just said'' hey i used to own this, loved it and it was quick, enjoy it, see ya''

I don't think he had a choice, when the guy asks about it....

my face must have changed and then came the question what mileage did it have when you wrote it off. i told him 59,000 miles, he closed his eyes and opened car door i leaned in and so the mileage, bear in mind hed had the car well over a year. it had 28,000 miles on the clock. hed bought it with 17,000 miles. he was well sick i wish id never seen the car lol. i felt guilty but obviously not my fault. ps the car is a GOLF GTI EDITION 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.